Can I upgrade my Synapse from 8 gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

IMG_1279.JPG
Hi chaps and chapesses, I have wondered for quite sometime now if it's possible to upgrade from 8 to 10/11 gears. It's a Sora derailleur and obviously an 8 speed cassette.
All is factory standard really.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Every thing in life is possible :smile:
But I think in this case you may as well get a new bike, for what the conversion is going to cost :laugh:
Somebody with more detailed knowledge will no doubt come along soon.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Simple answer is: yes

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 10-speed cassettes will fit on the same freehub body as 8-speed cassettes. As well as new shifters, you'll also need a new chain, chainrings and front and rear derailleurs.

11-speed is trickier/more expensive - you'll need a new rear wheel (or hub, at least).

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, but you'll probably need a full groupset and wheels to go to 11 speed at least, so probably around £400 if you do the work yourself

Why do you want to? What are you wanting to achieve?

It could give your bike a new lease of life and save you spending even more on a new one, so could be £400 well spent

You might find it better to ride with some pedals though :whistle:

And have you got over the falling off as you don't want to be scratching shiny new shifters and mechs

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
Yes, of course you 'can' :smile: though the cost might be prohibitive depending on your budget.

You'll need
  • new shifters (or if you're more than a bit mad and want to save some pennies and accept that it'll look terrible, just the one for the rear)
  • new chain; quick link
  • new cassette
You'll likely need
  • a rear derailleur
  • new cables inner [& outer] while you're there
  • bar tape (if you do the cables)
You may need
  • a rear wheel that'll take the chosen speed cassette; most are 8/10 but I think 11 has a different size hub and if so I'd stick with 10 speed unless your wheel is worn and is due to be replaced
Tools
  • Allen key set
  • Cable cutters
  • Pliers for crimping cable end
  • Cassette removal tool
  • Large ring spanner for cassette tool
  • Electrical tape
  • Chain breaker
All very easy but it'll cost a fair bit - the shifters being the largest cost. Go for 105 or equivalent for the best price/performance ratio.

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

Cheers guys it is appreciated.
I was wondering that's all, and if it was cheap enough maybe do it. I certainly not spending £400 doing it, after all I also have a Cad10.
Don't know yet Vickster I've only been out 3 times, not fallen off though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The main thing you'd achieve is smaller gaps between gears, at the cost of thinner, less durable, more expensive components. Do you find the steps between gears £400+ongoing replacements worth of annoying after only three rides?

I'm biased as my usual bike has roughly 36% steps between gears IIRC.

vickster

Legendary Member
That last statements reads a bit wrong, only been out 3 times in the last week is the correct one.
and how many times had you fallen off? Do you now have flat pedals?

Easy solution is get some 10-spd shifters(i.e. old 105) and use them with the current mechs of which the rear will need it's limit and b screws adjusting to take the new cassette; plus a 10-spd cassette and some 10 spd wheels, if you are really lucky the wheels 'may' be 10 spd compatible.Would also be an idea to get an in-line adjuster for the front mech and of course fresh cables.

Expensive solution is new 105 11-spd gears from Merlin;

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-road-bike-gear-kit-85057.html

Plus some wheels like these;

https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-clincher-road-wheelset-2016-74070.html

Plus the tools to put the cassette on the wheel.

Philhh

Might be worth looking in the Ribble clearance section I've recently got some 105 5703 mechs from their very reduced to upgrade my giant defy 3

si_c

Guru
Top Bottom