Can my daughter get travel insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just received a message to say she's been rejected because she's already started her trip. She should have organised it earlier. Bloody typical. But we are where we are.

In her case, Dublin. She's planning to spend the winter in Morocco, but because her trip doesn't begin & end in the UK, the computer says no. For the moment I've said "My gut instinct is that this will be doable. It will cost more, because you are non-standard. Low insurance quotes are based on standard. Anything other than standard and the money changes, but cover will still be available." Is that correct? Or has she blown it?

If it would be possible, any hints & tips on getting quotes would be much appreciated.

SydZ

Über Member
If you haven’t done so already, phone and speak to someone instead of going through a company’s website for a quote.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You will always find a company prepared to offer cover it's just a question of price.

Do you have travel insurance yourself? If so try calling that company. Another alternative, probably the quickest, is to call a broker. If a product is available a broker will find it.

Can she fly home and depart again after getting insurance?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Different insurance companies have different algorithms for assessing risk. What you have to do is find one that is more favourable to your individual circumstances. I have to get "medical preconditions" travel insurance because of an episode with my ticker a few years ago. Some companies flatly refuse to cover me, others are prepared to. If you don't use an insurance broker, you just have to spend a stupendously tedious few hours ringing round and testing the market. It's really that simple. I wish you all the best of luck.

Edit: Sorry, I cross-posted with @PaulSB who has just covered the points.

Gillstay

Über Member
Go into an insurance shop and talk to a person. That will sort it easily if my experiences are anything to go by.

I tried to get insurance for someone out of the country. Their annual insurance only covers a month in one country and you have to extend within a month of that which had expired.
The price was extrortionate.

Perhaps accidentally say shes still in the UK now and not due in the ROI until tomorrow...? :whistle:
That's fine until she may need to make a claim. It is possible they could look back at the details of the trip and refuse to pay if they found out she had stretched the truth a bit, mistakenly or otherwise.

Insurance companies have been known to try to wriggle out of payment on technicalities.

Can she even get into Morroco? my Morrocan pizza guy can't get 'home' for Xmas as he now has a GB passport and so entering by a third country won't work without quarantining.

Tell her to get the train to Newry and go get some travel insurance in the post office. Then she can get the next train south and carry on.
Genius idea. Make use of Northern Ireland whilst we still have it. I'd like to do some touring over there if this bloody bug ever goes away.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's fine until she may need to make a claim. It is possible they could look back at the details of the trip and refuse to pay if they found out she had stretched the truth a bit, mistakenly or otherwise.

Insurance companies have been known to try to wriggle out of payment on technicalities.
No! Say it ain't so.:eek: About half the industry is devoted to weaselling out of paying out.

Top Bottom