Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dora

Does my employer have the right to tell me how to get to and from work?

Most of the time they're fairly understanding, but whenever it rains, or it's cold or I'm not feeling at my best, I get called into the office for the lecture which starts "this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now" and goes on to "we can arrange for you to duck out early once a week for a driving lesson" and ends "you really need to get a car, you can't keep cycling in this cold/wet/sunny/completely average weather"

Since I don't have a contract to check, does him telling me to drive to work and not cycle actually have any bearing, or can I simply continue to smile and nod and tell him to sod off when he can't hear me??

For background: I've had ten years to accept that I'm an adult, and I'd be more accepting of the fact that I had a grown up job if they paid me grown up wages. I learned to drive when I was seventeen and passed my advanced driving test when I was twenty three and if I wanted to drive to work, I'd get in the car, which I own and keep parked on the drive, and drive to work. As it is, it's easier, cheaper and quicker for me to cycle, and if the trade off for my not tearing my hair out in traffic every morning is I get rained on, then I think that's a pretty good deal.
He also had a go at me, the other week because I walked to the shop for lunch, got caught in the rain, and came back dripping wet. Apparently getting caught in rain means you're stupid.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No he doesn't have a right to tell you how you get to work.
As long as you get to work with plenty of time to start your work at your contracted start hour then it's up to you.

He just sounds like an arse.

pally83

Über Member
I used to get similar treatment occasionally. Does your company have a carbon reduction policy or similar? Wave it at him - ours stated something about encouraging alternative forms of transport.

Linford

Ask him to get some brolly's in if he is worried about people coming back damp at dinnertime. If you are facing the public in your job, I don't think it is unreasonable to request that you can do this in a presentable state.

If the effort of cycle commuting is compromising your ability to function in your job, then I think there is also a bit of validity in his whinge.

dodgy

He's in the wrong, but the OP is obviously drawing some smug satisfaction from the whole thing. So they're just as bad as each other, almost.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This sounds crazy!! As Ian says as long as you are at work for your contracted hours it doesnt matter how you get there.

Does your work provide a carpark?

I receive a company car allowance and am expected to own and insure a car for work purposes. But I can make my way to my office however I want, my car just sits on the drive.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I would say that as long as your cycle commuting doesn't regularly affect your ability to start work at the expected time then your boss is just sounding off to make himself feel important or because he likes the sound of his own voice. On the other hand, if you frequently arrive dripping wet just as you are expected to clock on then spend 20 minutes getting dry and changed or are often late due to punctures/headwind/going the scenic route then maybe he has a reasonable grievance and his point should be considered (although jumping in a car won't sort this as they are just as likely to be held up in traffic).

If you are punctual and reliable then he doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you are struggling to get into work in good time ready for the start time then you should look at setting off earlier. You don't have a contract so he cannot say you must/are contracted to drive to work.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Personally I would tell him that how you get to and from the office is none of his business.

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
I agree with most of the above, I don't think it's any of his business how you get to work, as long as you're in on time, and if you are working with the public then you don't look any less presentable because of your having cycled in.

OP
OP
Dora

Dora

Thanks for the replies. I feel reassured (I'm the only one who cycles to work - no one else is quite sure wether he can tell me to get a car or not)
In answer to various questions: we don't have a carbon reduction policy or any other environmental strategy. The company doesn't specifically provide parking, but the building is on an industrial estate with a shared courtyard, so they pay for the upkeep of a porion of the space, which happens to be where everyone parks.
I'm not in a customer facing role, other than answering the phone

Agree with what the others say - your boss can only dictate your activities whilst at work. How you get to work is entirely your decision. As long as that method doesn't impact the time he pays you for then it's just bluster!

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Obviously I agree with everyone here. But the mind does boggle about the kind of person who would think that cycling in to work would somehow be a negative thing, even if you get caught in the rain.

He sounds like the kind of person who probably thinks you ride in only because you can afford to run a car - I get that from time to time (even though Im a higher rate tax payer, and can afford to run a car). But some people just cant seem to understand why I would want to cycle.

But, yes he has little to no right to tell you how to act outside of work (there are situations where me might, but this is not one of them).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tell him you recognise you're an adult with an adult job. As such you have details of the "Cycle to Work" scheme. Set up with HMRC, so people with adult jobs can effectively purchase a bike through their employer.
See what colour he goes:evil:

Top Bottom