Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Thanks for the replies. I feel reassured (I'm the only one who cycles to work - no one else is quite sure wether he can tell me to get a car or not)
In answer to various questions: we don't have a carbon reduction policy or any other environmental strategy. The company doesn't specifically provide parking, but the building is on an industrial estate with a shared courtyard, so they pay for the upkeep of a porion of the space, which happens to be where everyone parks.
I'm not in a customer facing role, other than answering the phone

You should ask him where the company stands on carbon reduction and the enviroment ............. thats assuming he knows big words of course :giggle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Accept the time off for driving lessons offer but go for a bike ride instead. :cycle:

Wildduck

Had the same situation twenty years ago. Called into a meeting with two managers who attempted to bully me into not cycling to work.

Sat there calmly, smiling and quietly informing them they had no legal right to dictate my method of transportation. Nothing they could do. Left with even bigger smile on my face.

If there is any further repeat of said assertions, remind him that you see this as bullying and harassment. Worth getting your union involved if you have one.

col

Legendary Member
What you do in your time is no one else's business. I also thought we had to have a written contract?

akb

Veteran
He employed you as a cyclist I assume, so was fully aware of your mode of transport. I would tell him to jog on and mind his own business if you are ready to work your contracted/expected hours after cycling to work. The weather you cycle in is your problem, not his. If he is concerned about you not driving, and has money to throw at driving lessons; I would request he use it to either pay you more or install some cycle parking ^_^

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Not unless your job involves going out & about in a car, visiting other sites or clients for example. And not unless your contract of employment sets out that you need to have a car. Harrassment due to cycling should result in you lodging a grievance to protect you against future victimisation.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Most of my colleagues hate cyclists, but the worst I generally have to put up with is listening to their moans about idiots jumping red lights or riding on the pavement. I let it wash over me. Fortunately, I work for a large company with a strongly pro-cycling policy, so they wouldnt dare say anything to prevent me cycling.

In fact, my cycling has meant I've been able to get to work on occasions when other colleagues have failed, so they really ought to be in favour of it. Maybe this would be a good argument to use with your employer?

Also, how many days off sick do you have? Is it more or fewer than your colleagues? If it's fewer, you could use that to argue the health benefits of your chosen method of transport.

d.

RhythMick

Über Member
Does my employer have the right to tell me how to get to and from work?

Most of the time they're fairly understanding, but whenever it rains, or it's cold or I'm not feeling at my best, I get called into the office for the lecture which starts "this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now" and goes on to "we can arrange for you to duck out early once a week for a driving lesson" and ends "you really need to get a car, you can't keep cycling in this cold/wet/sunny/completely average weather"

Since I don't have a contract to check, does him telling me to drive to work and not cycle actually have any bearing, or can I simply continue to smile and nod and tell him to sod off when he can't hear me??

For background: I've had ten years to accept that I'm an adult, and I'd be more accepting of the fact that I had a grown up job if they paid me grown up wages. I learned to drive when I was seventeen and passed my advanced driving test when I was twenty three and if I wanted to drive to work, I'd get in the car, which I own and keep parked on the drive, and drive to work. As it is, it's easier, cheaper and quicker for me to cycle, and if the trade off for my not tearing my hair out in traffic every morning is I get rained on, then I think that's a pretty good deal.
He also had a go at me, the other week because I walked to the shop for lunch, got caught in the rain, and came back dripping wet. Apparently getting caught in rain means you're stupid.
You don't have a contract to check??? Oh dear. Think that tells us what we need to know about your employer.

Problem is he makes the hiring, firing, promotion, reward decisions and you getting all contractual and aggressive won't help. I'd be tempted to try making light of it, but find out what he actually has a problem with. Is he concerned that you can't do your job properly because you're wet/cold/under-dressed? Do you need to meet and entertain customers, which might need you to drive them? If there's no valid concern, challenge him to see who takes longer to get into work..

... every day is a winding road...

BenM

Veteran
I also thought we had to have a written contract?
Nope - written terms and conditions is the bit you sign. Contract has a very specific legal meaning and is often confused with the bit of paper you sign to say you accept the terms and conditions of employment - which may form part of your contract but are not in and of themselves the contract ;)

Any back to the OP - he is an idiot... or he fancies you :biggrin:

B.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My boss isn't sympathetic with my shoulder injury/hospital visits/operation and has said 'isn't it time you gave that up' - I'm older and much lighter than him - so yeh ?

Look the boss up and down, and say, "well isn't it time you exercised ?" Scrub that, you might get the boot.

Just ask him 'Why ?' next time and look him in the eye.

Top Bottom