Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Not so sure I'm in agreement there jonny. The problem is that legally every employer should give you a copy of your written terms and conditions and contract within two months of employment. It's fishy that they haven't done that as it's up to them to change things and there would be no recourse to challenge this if there's no written contract. Yes, assertiveness is essential in workplaces but you need to know what your contractual terms are to back up any legitmate issues that need to be raised.

Your employer doesn't have a right to harass you about cycling to work of course, and has been stated, unless it's affecting your ability to do your work when you are at work. It can be construed as bullying and to be honest is downright sad of the manager.

Sorry but what a patronising, ignorant and arrogant (& possibly sexist) person of doubtable parentage your boss is.
As with the other responses, unless it's contractual or affecting your job he is well out of line and this can be construed as bullying or harassment.

Really - this is completely unbelievable in this day and age... Do you have to wear a flat cap and doff it to him in deference every time you

Tony

doug

Veteran
Drive to work one day, but turn up a little late and flustered and complain loudly all day in front of your boss about the traffic, cost of petrol, and how your bike is so much quicker and cheaper and less stressful.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not so sure I'm in agreement there jonny. The problem is that legally every employer should give you a copy of your written terms and conditions and contract within two months of employment. It's fishy that they haven't done that as it's up to them to change things and there would be no recourse to challenge this if there's no written contract. Yes, assertiveness is essential in workplaces but you need to know what your contractual terms are to back up any legitmate issues that need to be raised.

Your employer doesn't have a right to harass you about cycling to work of course, and has been stated, unless it's affecting your ability to do your work when you are at work. It can be construed as bullying and to be honest is downright sad of the manager.

you're right TT of course.

We do all have a perfect legal right to understand our conditions of employment (and protect ourselves with that understanding) but I'm not talking about what's "legally" correct here, I'm really talking about human nature. I'd be very careful about how I approached a cockwomble (still love that word) like him with this type of request...could well escalate matters in a totally new and interesting way.

I'd be inclined to try and solve the problem at hand before dealing with another. (Granted this needs dealing with just as importantly)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
you're right TT of course.

We do all have a perfect legal right to understand our conditions of employment (and protect ourselves with that understanding) but I'm not talking about what's "legally" correct here, I'm really talking about human nature. I'd be very careful about how I approached a cockwomble (still love that word) like him with this type of request...could well escalate matters in a totally new and interesting way.

I'd be inclined to try and solve the problem at hand before dealing with another. (Granted this needs dealing with just as importantly)

Of course, though my approach maybe would be to not get this information from your manager - if there is a way to bypass him at this stage or wait/time it correctly. If others don't have contracts it would be worth getting a request for them as a group- having been in situations like this, it can be a case of tread very carefully - this is it- powers that managers have over employees can be undeserved and misused as this situation shows.

OP's manager really is a complete and utter shoot bag

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Drive to work one day, but turn up a little late and flustered and complain loudly all day in front of your boss comment about the traffic, cost of petrol, and how your bike is so much quicker and cheaper and less stressful.

Agree with this one. He needs to know that it's your choice to cycle, not necessity.

I've got a car (used it today and it's a nice one) but I prefer the bike because of all of the above.

The management & staff think I'm crazy/brilliant - at the same time. It helps that there's now someone else in the office who commutes by bike, but only about 3 miles instead of 10-15.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
As long as your method of travel does not cause issue with your work then they have no say in how you get to work... Sounds as if Doras boss is maybe a little over concerned about her safety/welfare.
PS found out the other day one of my female colleagues refered to me as a "BEAST" because I cycle everywhere!.. I like that!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I always thought It Is up to the Individual how they got to work.
I can think of a couple of environmental charities who might cough if you turn up in a w@nkp@nzer. Fairly sure the new CEO of CTC will get short shrift if he drives a 13 litre monster truck to the office.

subaqua

What’s the point
I can think of a couple of environmental charities who might cough if you turn up in a w@nkp@nzer. Fairly sure the new CEO of CTC will get short shrift if he drives a 13 litre monster truck to the office.

The company I work for has a green policy, all company vehicles or if private vehicle and in receipt of car allowace , must be below 130g/Km . Cycling is actively encouraged althought bthe CTW is Halfords run

girovago

Does my employer have the right to tell me how to get to and from work?

Yes. Just as he can tell you what colour your pants should be that day and how many Weetabix you're allowed for breakfast. The choice to add sugar, however, is entirely a matter for you.

beastie

Guru
As long as your method of travel does not cause issue with your work then they have no say in how you get to work... Sounds as if Doras boss is maybe a little over concerned about her safety/welfare.
PS found out the other day one of my female colleagues refered to me as a "BEAST" because I cycle everywhere!.. I like that!

Oi! I have that trademark.

sabian92

Über Member
Tell him to knob off and keep riding. As long as you are on time, presentable and don't stink he can stick it up his backside.

Top Bottom