Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be more accepting of the fact that I had a grown up job if they paid me grown up wages.
:biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The thought had crossed my mind!!
Breach of trust. You'll be out on your ear if you get caught.

I used to get a similar runaround when playing rugby, and turning up after matches and training sessions with injuries btw so it ain't just cycling people cut up rough about.

same conversation starting with "We are worried about you..." when I used to ride a Jota to and from the office(s). Must have been the open pipes!

mangaman

You can only drive if you pass your test, just don't pass. Or pass the test and continue to cycle to work claiming that they don't pay you enough to afford to run a car ^_^

She's already passed her test and has a car - she just chooses to cycle to work.

See OP

Seems very strange to me. They haven't given you a secondary reason, that they blame the cycling for? E.G. People have complained about your body odour after you cycle in... (sorry, first one that comes to mind!)

Obviously there is then always the alternative way of curing whatever 'problem' they raise, e.g. in the above example you could suggest they install showers.

Seems very strange to purely say 'we don't like you cycling to work' for no reason!

Manonabike

Über Member
Does my employer have the right to tell me how to get to and from work?

Most of the time they're fairly understanding, but whenever it rains, or it's cold or I'm not feeling at my best, I get called into the office for the lecture which starts "this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now" and goes on to "we can arrange for you to duck out early once a week for a driving lesson" and ends "you really need to get a car, you can't keep cycling in this cold/wet/sunny/completely average weather"

Since I don't have a contract to check, does him telling me to drive to work and not cycle actually have any bearing, or can I simply continue to smile and nod and tell him to sod off when he can't hear me??

For background: I've had ten years to accept that I'm an adult, and I'd be more accepting of the fact that I had a grown up job if they paid me grown up wages. I learned to drive when I was seventeen and passed my advanced driving test when I was twenty three and if I wanted to drive to work, I'd get in the car, which I own and keep parked on the drive, and drive to work. As it is, it's easier, cheaper and quicker for me to cycle, and if the trade off for my not tearing my hair out in traffic every morning is I get rained on, then I think that's a pretty good deal.
He also had a go at me, the other week because I walked to the shop for lunch, got caught in the rain, and came back dripping wet. Apparently getting caught in rain means you're stupid.

At the risk of sounding unpopular I will say that you are probably not performing at your best when it's raining or cold. In which case it's understandable your employer gets a bit jumpy about your cycling.

If are seen looking cold and miserable after a cold / wet ride, no wonder your employer is having a go at you.....

I don't think your employer would have a go at you without a reason, simply cause you ride to work..... there must be more to it.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Depends on his boss. I've seen good and bad bosses. There are still too many that are really unsuitable. They get into a position of authority and go on a power trip.
You'd think people wouldn't be able to spout racist garbage at work with impunity. Some do as they know their bosses will turn a blind eye, so long as they're otherwise efficient.
Having seen this, hearing someone's anti cyclist is way too easily believable.

dodgy

You should ask him where the company stands on carbon reduction and the enviroment ............. thats assuming he knows big words of course :giggle:

Irony overload.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I used to get a similar runaround when playing rugby, and turning up after matches and training sessions with injuries btw so it ain't just cycling people cut up rough about.

My rugby playing injuries were far worse than cycling. Some mondays I could barely drag myself into the office due to the pain. Having to explain grazed foreheads, broken fingers and black eyes to clients is never easy.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Offer to start using your car if your boss agrees to pay you travelling expenses to drive to and from work at the HMRC going rate [it's around 45p/mile or so] which should an extra allowance for business use on your own car insurance.

Gooner Mad Dog

Hi again not sure what type of company how big etc , if you have a "cycle to work" scheme through HR then you are bulletproof but he has no say whatsover, in fact you could quote him the fact that cyclists generally take less days off than tube/car potatoes.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You do have a contract just not one in writing. You are entitled to a written statement of your main employment terms within two months of starting work, so ask for one.

And then watch as you become marginalised and eventually made redundant. Those types of enquiries only lead to management thinking that you have a plan...and that worries them.

Better to work on your assertive skills, sounds to me as if you are allowing yourself to become a victim.

better to go and complain that you got wet because of the lack of brollies and good close eateries. or perhaps complain that your colleagues continue to turn up late for work because of traffic problems and that you manage to arrive on time every day.

kick up, make a fuss or get out...starting a contractual war will not help you.

Top Bottom