Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Breach of trust. You'll be out on your ear if you get caught.

I used to get a similar runaround when playing rugby, and turning up after matches and training sessions with injuries btw so it ain't just cycling people cut up rough about.

same conversation starting with "We are worried about you..." when I used to ride a Jota to and from the office(s). Must have been the open pipes!
This reminds me of a manager we used to have, he got wind of a few of the younger lads organising some afterwork football and warned they faced disciplinary action should they get injured and missed work.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This reminds me of a manager we used to have, he got wind of a few of the younger lads organising some afterwork football and warned they faced disciplinary action should they get injured and missed work.
Not as outlandish as it sounds... parallels the idea that getting pissed at the Xtmas party and making a pass at a member of staff, or taking a swing at the CEO is excused on the basis of 'off the premises'. It ain't.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Never mind about a carbon reduction policy; do they have a bullying and harassment policy? If not, then they may be on rather shaky ground, and if they do, then he may be. I would keep a diary recording every instance of this bullying behaviour. I hope you won't need it, but it's best to be on the safe side.

400bhp

Guru
Is this a wind up by the OP?

We need info on the type of job they do and their position in the company.

400bhp

Guru
Never mind about a carbon reduction policy; do they have a bullying and harassment policy? If not, then they may be on rather shaky ground, and if they do, then he may be. I would keep a diary recording every instance of this bullying behaviour. I hope you won't need it, but it's best to be on the safe side.

Why is that?

cloggsy

Boardmanist
Next time you get called in, defer the meeting, telling him you require Union representation in the room with you the next time this matter is discussed...

Bet it doesn't happen again :thumbsup:

davefb

Guru
Next time you get called in, defer the meeting, telling him you require Union representation in the room with you the next time this matter is discussed...

Bet it doesn't happen again :thumbsup:
whats a union ? :sad:

the only thought would be 'duty of care' about your safety... that's cropped up with the snow storms and getting to work .. but cycling ,its madness?

Best defence is a good offence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20580736

RESULTS:

The mean total duration of absenteeism over the study year was more than 1 day shorter in cyclists than in non-cyclists. This can be explained by the higher proportion of people with no absenteeism in the cycling group. A dose-response relationship was observed between the speed and distance of cycling and absenteeism. Compared to people who cycle a short distance (<or=5 km) three times a week, people who cycle more often and longer distances are absent for fewer days on average.
CONCLUSION:

Cycling to work is associated with less sickness absence. The more often people cycle to work and the longer the distance travelled, the less they report sick.

"this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now"

It's the implication that only children with childish occupations cycle to work that burns me! You might like to point out, if you get the chance and can put the point accross in a way that your boss will isten to, that you know of a member of a popular internet cycling forum who works for a FSTE 'Blue Chip' company (not bragging just illustrative) who in a department comprised of 18 persons is one of 8 regular cycle commuters (10 if you count the 'occasionals') and we are all technically skilled utility industry workers.
Is this boss, by any chance, an obese big-shiny-nearly-new car driver by any chance? Or do they not have any excuse for being an appalling man-manager?

"this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now"

It's the implication that only children with childish occupations cycle to work that burns me! You might like to point out, if you get the chance and can put the point accross in a way that your boss will isten to, that you know of a member of a popular internet cycling forum who works for a FSTE 'Blue Chip' company (not bragging just illustrative) who in a department comprised of 18 persons is one of 8 regular cycle commuters (10 if you count the 'occasionals') and we are all technically skilled utility industry workers.
Is this boss, by any chance, an obese big-shiny-nearly-new car driver by any chance? Or do they not have any excuse for being an appalling man-manager?

+1 to that FTSE100 company and a senior management team of 9 where 4 of us cycle, 3 of whom are roadie-heads.

Tony

Speedywheelsjeans

No he cant tell you how to get to work. If your cycling is affecting your ability to do your job then it can be an issue, if not, then he has no right.

Top Bottom