Can my employer state that I must drive to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IT_Dummy

You guys are not seeing the point
YES it has nothing to with the employer how you get to work
Whilst you are at work the employer is responsible for your Health "Heard of Health and safety"
If you arrive not in a fit state eg. wet through, shivering, knackered. H&S comes into play
Its a 2 sided thing
Source
I am an employer

Whilst you are at work the employer is responsible for your Health "Heard of Health and safety"
If you arrive not in a fit state eg. wet through, shivering, knackered. H&S comes into play
Its a 2 sided thing
Source
I am an employer
As a H&S professional personally I couldn't give a monkeys chuff about how wet, shivering and knackered people come into work, I see runners come in in workse condition looking like they are about to have a coronary!
To me, cycling, running, canoeing, long- jump or whatever are all promoting a healthy lifestyle and should be commended rather than collared.

Tony

Brains

Legendary Member
Buy a £50 scrapper from the local car breakers.
Ensure the car looks on it's last legs.
Drive to work.
  • Park in his favourite spot.
  • Ensure the car 'breaks down' at the office but say you don't have the money to fix it, so it sits there for weeks and weeks, eventually get the scrapper to pick it up in full view of the entire office.
  • Ask for a pay rise so that you can afford a newer car or so that you can afford to drive to work.
Basically embaressment is your wepon here:blush:

IT_Dummy

As a H&S professional personally I couldn't give a monkeys chuff about how wet, shivering and knackered people come into work, I see runners come in in workse condition looking like they are about to have a coronary!
To me, cycling, running, canoeing, long- jump or whatever are all promoting a healthy lifestyle and should be commended rather than collared.

Tony
So electricity and water does mix
Tiredness does kill signs on the motorway are wrong
Ok I stand corrected

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
"this cycling has got to stop - you're an adult with a grown up job now"

It's the implication that only children with childish occupations cycle to work that burns me! You might like to point out, if you get the chance and can put the point accross in a way that your boss will isten to, that you know of a member of a popular internet cycling forum who works for a FSTE 'Blue Chip' company (not bragging just illustrative) who in a department comprised of 18 persons is one of 8 regular cycle commuters (10 if you count the 'occasionals') and we are all technically skilled utility industry workers.
Is this boss, by any chance, an obese big-shiny-nearly-new car driver by any chance? Or do they not have any excuse for being an appalling man-manager?

Nice one Browser!

OP, show him this article:

6 in 10 Boris bikers earn more than £50,000pa

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23910653-boris-bike-users-are-like-boris-johnson.do

Was that a bite IT_Dummy? ;-)
I was just stating that h&s are promoting health and well being.
No, electricity and water do not mix and tiredness kills signs are worthwhile, but using health and safety inappropriately can only be detrimental to a positive health and safety culture in what is already an anti- health and safety climate with the local and national press - just like most of them are about cyclists - inappropriately.

The basis of my response was someone coming into work wet can do so whether cycling or not.
People Cycling in are most likely fitter than the majority and probably more alert and productive than your average overweight and unfit Joe.

Buy a £50 scrapper from the local car breakers.
Ensure the car looks on it's last legs.
Drive to work.
  • Park in his favourite spot.
  • Ensure the car 'breaks down' at the office but say you don't have the money to fix it, so it sits there for weeks and weeks, eventually get the scrapper to pick it up in full view of the entire office.
  • Ask for a pay rise so that you can afford a newer car or so that you can afford to drive to work.
Basically embaressment is your wepon here:blush:

Har har! provocative but bl00dy funny :laugh:

girovago

Its a 2 sided thing
Source
I am an employer

The point is: his employer cannot dictate which mode of transport he uses to get to work.

Everything said beyond that is irrelevant.

Recycler

What you do in your own time is up to you.
Why not tell him that you'll gat a car and drive in if he pays you whilst you are travelling?

You can also point out to him that David Cameron and Boris Johnson are frequently seen cycling into work. Whatever you may think of them (!) running the country and running London are probably "adult" jobs

Top Bottom