Can someone explain car insurance excess?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I'll be able to get a quote from Saga this year.

And pay way over the odds lol.

D

Deleted member 26715

This would be the same Ageas who insured the woman who before Christmas, hit me and drove off without stopping. Whilst I accept this is no indication of the company, it's reaction since has quite frankly been p1ss poor. Having to be pushed all the time for responses, still not refunded me the £3 it cost me to trace the driver's insurers and despite being told within 48 hours of incident and several emails from me, has still not asked for the evidence from me.
That should like every insurance company I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with, they are happy to take money from you but will do everything they can not to give it back out.
I'll be able to get a quote from Saga this year.
Mine wasn't cheap enough this year from them

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In the end, I went with Lloyds, £188 for the year with my wife as added driver. Reputable company with good reviews.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Insurance is great. I once wrote off a car three hours after buying it on the drive home. I had an agreed value on the car that was quite a bit more than I paid for it. The insurance company then let me buy the wreck and I stripped it for parts which I sold on. I made a few thousand on that little caper.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
It's a just a big con, to get you to repair minor damage yourself. I don't like insurance companies at all. I used to own two cars, a crap commuter and a mint MX5. I changed jobs, got a company car and sold both of these cars. It was mid term through the insurance year for both and I just got totally fleeced with cancellation fees. I never read the sh1te paperwork they gave me so its my fault, I would guess that they are all the same though.

I was also told if I don't get personal car insurance within 2 years, I will lose all my built-up no claims. The no claims took me years to build up. I've been insuring cars for 30 years now. They are just a bunch of robbing c**ts...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It's a just a big con, to get you to repair minor damage yourself. I don't like insurance companies at all. I used to own two cars, a crap commuter and a mint MX5. I changed jobs, got a company car and sold both of these cars. It was mid term through the insurance year for both and I just got totally fleeced with cancellation fees. I never read the sh1te paperwork they gave me so its my fault, I would guess that they are all the same though.

I was also told if I don't get personal car insurance within 2 years, I will lose all my built-up no claims. The no claims took me years to build up. I've been insuring cars for 30 years now. They are just a bunch of robbing c**ts...
That happened to me when I did without a car for over three years, but it makes little difference since when you take out new insurance, with the discounts for being a new policyholder and various other discounts, in my case I ended up paying just ten pounds more. I wouldn't sweat about it.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
That happened to me when I did without a car for over three years, but it makes little difference since when you take out new insurance, with the discounts for being a new policyholder and various other discounts, in my case I ended up paying just ten pounds more. I wouldn't sweat about it.

Cheers thanks for that, I imagine its going to be sometime before I buy another car, although I'd like a Toyota GT86 as a weekend toy, but can't justify it or really afford it. Sounds like it's not as bad as I think then. The policy cancellation fees still p1ss me right off though.

The biggest increase I have ever had in my insurance price was increased mileage usage when I was doing a longer commute. I guess there is more risk the more miles that you do, so I kind of got that one..

I used to modify Japanese cars slightly years ago, usually suspension, once aftermarket wheels, the premium increase was negligible. The Mk 3 MX5 I owned for a couple of years I always thought that the suspension was too soft and too high, probably down to whom buys a lot of these cars, probably not looking for a go-kart. I was going to buy some quality coilovers, but when I shopped for insurance costs the price increase was a bit of a joke, round about 30%, there were limited companies that did this, a lot of them I had never heard of and thought that they might be cloak and dagger companies. Less companies means less competition when they hit you with the "loaded" insurance renewal quote like they always do and you have to shop around again. So i never bothered. If I was looking for another sports car I think I'd always buy something that was how I want it from the factory to avoid this kind of thing.

I guess this is why there aren't as many chavved-up-sh1tbox Saxo's and Corsa's about anymore, as were about a while ago. That's not a bad thing though, those ridiculous body-kits used to hurt my eyes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom