Can someone explain car insurance excess?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am thinking of going from a two car family to a single car. Can I flip flop every year between my wife and I as the main driver to keep both our no-claims discounts running?

Drago

Legendary Member
Theoretically, yes.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I guess this is why there aren't as many chavved-up-sh1tbox Saxo's and Corsa's about anymore, as were about a while ago. That's not a bad thing though, those ridiculous body-kits used to hurt my eyes...

Partly the cost of insurance, but also because it's so cheap to lease a new car now - a mate is leasing a Fiesta ST-line with the eco boost engine (all the show and 125bhp) for under £150 a month. Cheap to insure too as it's a "standard" car.

D

Deleted member 26715

Partly the cost of insurance, but also because it's so cheap to lease a new car now - a mate is leasing a Fiesta ST-line with the eco boost engine (all the show and 125bhp) for under £150 a month. Cheap to insure too as it's a "standard" car.
Yep, but he's lost the deposit he's paid, probably 25% so let's be generous & only say £4500, after 4 years he's given them another £7200, then if it's not perfect when it's returned he will have to pay for all the damage to be repaired £unknown, then on top if he goes over his agreed mileage they will screw him for more funds £unknown & what does he got out of it in the end, apart from being £11,700 poorer, nothing. It's a mugs game that the car dealers love.

Drago

Legendary Member
Leasing isn't quite so bad, at least the tyres, maintenance etc is all included.

PCPs are dreadful - you're paying to service, maintain and put new tyres someone else's car! The dealers love that even more.

Mrs D has a lease car on Motability. As favourable as the rates are, we won't be doing it again as it's considerably cheaper to buy, maintain and insure the same car on finance, and after 4 years she has an asset to show for it, so when the lease is up we won't be having another. Thats how Motability have managed to accrue 2.4 billion pounds in cash reserves.

And motabilitiy's customer service being crap, which was the final nail in the coffin for any slight chance we would ever do business with them again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Business leasing I can understand, PCP is a fool's game, all based on the vanity culture the marketeers would have us all join.

screenman

Legendary Member
Unless you happen to be a 23 year old professional musician living in central Manchester .
I rashly offered to help my son with his first year's motor insurance! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I know expensive it can be, but I still think it is good value for the peace of mind. My first insurance in 1973 was £125 I was 17 and owning a mk2 Jaguar.

D

Deleted member 26715

Iland owning a mk2 Jaguar.
Bet you wish you'd kept it

Top Bottom