Can tyres slow you down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
As above. recently experiences got me think: what is slowing me down?

I am not interested in puncture resistant.

I am using the ones that came with my bike Specialized Mondo Sport (700 x 23, approx weight 310g) just above the recommended pressure.

Well, I know a lot of people will say they are rubbish (as many reviews) but I have to say I've done over 1,000 miles on some really bad country roads without a puncture (touch wood!) so they have been fine.

I never tried a different tyre so my experiences are limited. What do you think? Personal experiences?

I've no experience of those particular tyres but yes tyres can slow you down, different brands will way more or roll less well (a lower tpi) but there is also a psychological effect that you feel tyres roll worse or better too. If you feel you need that extra edge, upgrading would be a good idea,

Norm

Once you get to 23mm, I think most differences would be psychological, as HLaB says, or relevant only in a pro-peleton.

Well, I should qualify that, as I think that some tyres will be slower than others, but they will have other benefits, such as puncture resistance, for instance.

I changed blocky off-road 26x2.1's for slick 26x1.5 City Jets a few years ago, and the difference over 7 miles was about 17%. Between two different sets of 700x23, though, I doubt you'll see much between two journeys which couldn't be down to what you had for breakfast.

Tyres choice will make a difference, width, weight and tread pattern will affect acceleration and rolling resistance. I've found there to be quite a difference between 23 and 28mm tyres. I like 28's for touring and comfort, but found them frustrating off the line and hard to get back up to speed again. And 23's, while quick, are pretty harsh over intermediate road conditions and long distances and so I've settled on 25's as a happy medium.

Some light weight 23's will make you feel lightening fast, but the chances of them getting a puncture over 100 miles is higher than a tyre that's more sturdy.

You easily cut 100 grams of each your tyres and you would notice a difference.

VamP

Banned
Once you get to 23mm, I think most differences would be psychological, as HLaB says, or relevant only in a pro-peleton.

I can't agree with that. I keep a journal of my average commute speeds, and when I changed from cheap tyres that my bike came with (Vittoria Zaffiro) to Ultremo's, the average speed went up about 1 mph. No other change.

Personally, I think that changing to top notch tyres is a by far the best bang for buck modification you can do to your bike.

All round grip is much improved, and I find them much more enjoyable to ride (though that may be psychological :rolleyes: ).

OP
OP
rockyraccoon

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Cheers! I'm going to invest in some lighter tyres with higher TPI. I am not getting much joy from those Mondos.

festival

Über Member
You almost answered your own question, try a different tyre.

As a generalisation, better wheels and tyres are areas which will gain you most

Night Train

Maker of Things
Tyres do make a difference.

When the knackered old tyres on my folder burst I got some dirt cheap tyres form the local market stall to get going again. They are very good at converting pedal power to noise but not much good at forward motion. Even compared to the old ones, with cords showing through the cracks, they were appalingly bad.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd say with tyres, more than almost anything else, you get what you pay for.
Spending an extra £25 per pair will improve the feel of the bike beyond all recognition.
After buying a track pump, it's far and away the best bang-per-buck upgrade there is.

stephec

Legendary Member
I can't agree with that. I keep a journal of my average commute speeds, and when I changed from cheap tyres that my bike came with (Vittoria Zaffiro) to Ultremo's, the average speed went up about 1 mph. No other change.

Personally, I think that changing to top notch tyres is a by far the best bang for buck modification you can do to your bike.

All round grip is much improved, and I find them much more enjoyable to ride (though that may be psychological :rolleyes: ).

Agreed.

Zaffiros are a pile of mucky poo compared to Ultremos. :smile:

lukesdad

Nothing wrong with the mondo s Ive used them in the past same goes for Zaffiros. My choice is Pro 3 s but they 3 times the price as they say you pays your money........

Top Bottom