Can we talk about running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjw_78

Incidentally I adopted a run:walk startegy - run for 14 minutes, power-walk for 1 minute, repeat. It definitely worked for me.

Scouts pace (or a variation of it). I used this a lot when training for the Terrex c2c AR race last year. 10-15 minute run, 60 seconds walking. I can keep going for hours that way, which I certainly can't do if I just run.

Pottsy

Again, an excellent time fimm, especially with that run/walk strategy too. A nice approach.

Incidentally I spent years managing ITB issues and the sore knees that occurred as a result. I've now adopted this Chi-running form, mid-foot strike and flatter, less supportive and minimal shoes (e.g. Saucony Kinvara, Nike Free Run 2) and I'm completely injury free. It's taken over a year of slow progression to a new technique and lots of additional work on core and flexibility (and lots of use of the foam roller to stretch them), but a combination of all these factors has really worked for me.

I also don't agree with the statement that running is bad for your knees. Running badly certainly is though.

fimm

Veteran
I also don't agree with the statement that running is bad for your knees. Running badly certainly is though.
+1
My boyfriend is very big on running technique, minimalist running shoes (he now does all his on-road training in race flats) etc etc. So he keeps me right, and I'm slowly moving into a more what he would call fore-foot-strike style of running. I do need to work on my flexibilty too; I have very tight hamstrings. We do have a foam roller with which I have been attacking my ITB; I guess I will give it a good go this evening (which is likely to hurt even more than it usually does!)

Run:walk strategies seem to be very popular with triathletes doing longer distance races.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I naturally run mid-foot, and don't have any issues with running as such; it was the years of judo and soccer that did my knees and from which they are slowly recovering.

Pottsy

I naturally run mid-foot, and don't have any issues with running as such; it was the years of judo and soccer that did my knees and from which they are slowly recovering.

Yes fair enough, if your knees are already struggling as a result of other sports then running isn't really ideal, especially longer distances.

If anyone is interested, the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a fascinating and inspiring read about minimalist running; part history, part anthropology, part comment on technique and part just a good story :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
+1
My boyfriend is very big on running technique, minimalist running shoes (he now does all his on-road training in race flats) .

A friend of mine who runs for N. Ireland, is doing a PhD about running shoes and the stresses that they impose; he is certain that it is the way forward. Mind you, he is being sponsored by the Vibram 5 fingers company, so he would, wouldn't he ?

I actually did 10k in training today, in minimalist running shoes - landing primarily on the forefoot . . . not so easy going downhill, though. I'm a big fan of it. After 30 years of running, this is a 'fad' that actually seems to work for me.

I did judo for quite a few years . . . my knees are fine, but I'm certain that it affected my ankles. Over the 30 years I've been running, those fellow runners with the worst injuries, have always come from a soccer background.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Lochaber Marathon yesterday - my first. 3 hours 27 minutes. Quite pleased with that. My legs were very sore yesterday. They are quite stiff now, especially one knee, but not as bad as I thought they would be!

That's a great time - well done !

Be warned though, for many people, the second marathon is harder than the first - 'cos they know what it will be like.

It will hurt after a marathon - especially things such as walking upstairs. I find that beer and wine help the recovery process.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just did a parkrun yesterday in Durham - really good atmosphere
5k in under 26 minutes.
Might do it every Sat morning as it left me with enough energy for a slow 7 miles today (trying to master plodding at 10 minute mile pace for a marathon (not yet entered))
Has anyone tried them?
Yes - regular parkrunning here in Birmingham. Too regular. Trying to get back to cycling more.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've now adopted this Chi-running form, mid-foot strike and flatter, less supportive and minimal shoes (e.g. Saucony Kinvara, Nike Free Run 2) and I'm completely injury free. It's taken over a year of slow progression to a new technique and lots of additional work on core and flexibility (and lots of use of the foam roller to stretch them), but a combination of all these factors has really worked for me.

I'm pleased to read of your success - I'm trying exactly the same approach myself.

The best and most minimalist shoes that I've used, are actually a few pairs of beach (aqua) shoes. They cost approx. £10 a pair and have soles that resist stones/thorns etc. There seems to be little difference from using a pair of beach shoes or road racers and I find that I prefer drawstrings to laces. I got the idea from a barefoot running forum - quite a few said that they use them.

http://www.barefootrunner.com/reviews/review-wateraqua-shoes/

http://runningtrainingplan.com/runningpress/2009/15th-august-—-aqua-shoe-test-barefoot-run-6/

This is a very interesting article . . .

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/tackling-10-myths-barefoot-running

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ran my 10.5km circuit tonight at 90%... feeling pretty good all round right now. I have a half-marathon at the end of the month, and I'll try to do the full distance once more before the race itself, probably this Thursday, and then it's tapering time...

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a half-marathon at the end of the month...

Considering that you did a sub-40 min 10k, if the course is reasonably fast ( & weather is okay ), I wouldn't be surprised if you manage to get under 90 minutes.

I used to find that a 39 minute 10k, would lead to about 67 minutes for 10 miles and just under 90 for a half. IMO, it is best to start a half, fairly cautiously; perhaps 7 minutes each mile, for the first 3 or 4 miles - 'keeping a lid on it'.

Probably teaching my Grandmother how to suck eggs again ^_^ . . .

Keep us posted on how you do; I find it most inspiring, to read how others are making progress. :thumbsup: Have actually started training again . . . . . . . I'd love to get under 40 minutes for 10K, 70 minutes for 10 miles & 90 minutes for a half.

Pottsy

I'm pleased to read of your success - I'm trying exactly the same approach myself.

The best and most minimalist shoes that I've used, are actually a few pairs of beach (aqua) shoes. They cost approx. £10 a pair and have soles that resist stones/thorns etc. There seems to be little difference from using a pair of beach shoes or road racers and I find that I prefer drawstrings to laces. I got the idea from a barefoot running forum - quite a few said that they use them.

http://www.barefootrunner.com/reviews/review-wateraqua-shoes/

http://runningtrainingplan.com/runningpress/2009/15th-august-—-aqua-shoe-test-barefoot-run-6/

This is a very interesting article . . .

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/tackling-10-myths-barefoot-running

I'm trying not to go too minimal to start, slowly progressing in that direction. It does have the feeling of a fad but I think the concepts are correct, people have to progress slowly though. I cringe at the thought of a heavy and unfit jogger buying some Vibram 5 fingers and setting off on a 10 mile first run on concrete :ohmy:

So I'm going more minimalist than barefoot - the Kinvaras are excellent, still some good cushioning, but a little narrow toe box for me. The Nike Free Run 2 are my current favourites, though it is with some reluctance as I have an aversion to Nike and their cheesy advertising.

Thanks for the article, it looks good - I'll read it later.

I'm also with pubrunner in that you should certainly be looking at sub 1:35 for the half Flying_Monkey. If you have a good day then you might break the magic 90 minutes - best of luck.

007fair

Thank you. :blush:
The only other race I've entered is Lochore Meadows Sprint Tri in June. I want to have a bit of a break from running as my legs have suffered a bit in the run-up to the marathon - I've been managing ITB issues. My plan is to try and fit in some more hillwalking around my boyfriend's preparation for the West Highland Way race in June...

Incidentally I adopted a run:walk startegy - run for 14 minutes, power-walk for 1 minute, repeat. It definitely worked for me.

Interesting ... I ran 1 marathon which I was not quite ready for and broke down at 20 miles Walked for a bit, recovered somewhat, then finished in 4:15
But I felt it was not so much tiredness that made me stop but all over body seizure (!) brought on by the monotonous jogging movement. The minute I started walking (a fast walk probably about the speed I was jogging at that point ) I felt pretty OK and started to recover. I think the walk run thing would have been a good idea. 3:30 is a dream time for me ! congrats.

I'm signed up for lochore too This will be my first Tri and first time in OW ... bit nervious about that swim:smile:
I'll see you there - I'll be the one with the frog in his mouth. Fairly easy to spot .

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Considering that you did a sub-40 min 10k, if the course is reasonably fast ( & weather is okay ), I wouldn't be surprised if you manage to get under 90 minutes.

I used to find that a 39 minute 10k, would lead to about 67 minutes for 10 miles and just under 90 for a half. IMO, it is best to start a half, fairly cautiously; perhaps 7 minutes each mile, for the first 3 or 4 miles - 'keeping a lid on it'.

Probably teaching my Grandmother how to suck eggs again ^_^ . . .

Keep us posted on how you do; I find it most inspiring, to read how others are making progress. :thumbsup: Have actually started training again . . . . . . . I'd love to get under 40 minutes for 10K, 70 minutes for 10 miles & 90 minutes for a half.

That's very useful advice, thanks! I do tend to be a consistent pace runner, but with this distance I know from experience I should leave more in the tank. The last 1/2 I did (couple of years ago), I went out way too fast, strained something in my thigh at around 10 miles and had a very unpleasant and slow last section, finishing in 1.46. So I think I will be happy with anything under 1.40. I was in quite poor shape then though, and I think 1.30 would not be impossible now, depending on the conditions on the day.

Top Bottom