Can we talk about running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, that wasn't so bad... this particular 10k is never one that attracts all the serious local runners, but there was a group of four of us who started with some purpose and stayed a long way ahead for rest of the race. I ended up 3rd in 39.37, and as my target had been a sub-40 minute 10k, I was very pleased. It was also good from a tactical point of view. The group of four soon split into two pairs, so I ended up having a duel with this much younger guy. With about 2.5km to go he seemed to want to try to overtake me, so I just upped the pace on an uphill section and then kept it up for the next 1.5km, knowing that I probably didn't have the finish he would have. This worked and he never got back up with me again...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Upping my distances now in advance of my first half-marathon at the end of the month. Did 23km, mostly cross-country, on Sunday. Felt very nice indeed. I was keeping it easy but my legs didn't even ache and I could even manage a sprint at the end. :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Upping my distances now in advance of my first half-marathon at the end of the month. Did 23km, mostly cross-country, on Sunday. Felt very nice indeed. I was keeping it easy but my legs didn't even ache and I could even manage a sprint at the end. :smile:

I'm pleased that you keep posting about your running experiences . . . but they make me feel so guilty :sad: - and remind me that I also need to get out and train.

I see that you did a sub 40 10K recently, I wonder if I'll ever get under 40 minutes again ? :headshake:

baldycyclist

Über Member
Just did a parkrun yesterday in Durham - really good atmosphere
5k in under 26 minutes.
Might do it every Sat morning as it left me with enough energy for a slow 7 miles today (trying to master plodding at 10 minute mile pace for a marathon (not yet entered))
Has anyone tried them?

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Id love to start going to Park run but I wake up at 6.30 mon to fry, train almost every week 5x a week and the least I demand is have a lie in in the morning! :blush: Plus my 'nearest' is 18m away. I suppose if I was really keen I could cycle there, run and cycle back! Probably on a warm sunny day :thumbsup:

Pottsy

Nice one fimm. An excellent time too.

I'm mid-training for a marathon on May 20th, so only a month or so for me. I did a 20 miler on Saturday which went well so I'm happy at the moment.

Have you got any other races booked or planned?

fimm

Veteran
Thank you. :blush:
The only other race I've entered is Lochore Meadows Sprint Tri in June. I want to have a bit of a break from running as my legs have suffered a bit in the run-up to the marathon - I've been managing ITB issues. My plan is to try and fit in some more hillwalking around my boyfriend's preparation for the West Highland Way race in June...

Incidentally I adopted a run:walk startegy - run for 14 minutes, power-walk for 1 minute, repeat. It definitely worked for me.

Top Bottom