Can we talk about running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, I ran a hard 10.5km loop in training on Friday morning and was well under 40 minutes and still within myself. So maybe a 1.30 for the half is possible... Depending on the weather, tomorrow I will either run a 90% half or do a 52k/10.5k brick.

Pottsy

I'm off out on the bike to watch the London Runners in a moment. Always great for inspiration.

Yesterday I did a Chi Running course just near to where I live. Very interesting. I read the book a couple of years ago and have been practicing the techniques already, but you can't beat an expert showing you and videoing you. I can thoroughly recommend it, particularly for frequently injured runners.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A half-and-half 15km last night - the first half easy and the second half race pace. Just under 1.10, so I am feeling much more confident about doing 1.30 on Sunday. It all depends on the wind though. The race is an out and back course and if the wind is fiercely against you in the first half it can really sap your energy and even with the wind behind you in the second half, it will not help much.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I am feeling much more confident about doing 1.30 on Sunday. quote]

Even(ish) effort is the key, imo.

You need to average 6:51 to break 1:30.

I'd do the first mile in approx. 7 minutes - preferably no quicker . . . . . . . . 7.10 would be fine. If you are running 'within yourself' and get through the first few miles feeling fine, then you'll gain considerable confidence. It is a great feeling to be running at a fast (85%) pace (but not flat out) and knowing that there is more in the bag.

There'll be plenty of time left to make up the 'lost' seconds. In many half marathons, I've been overtaken early on, by people going 'hell for leather', only to overtake them a few miles further down the road. Some people will sprint off at the very start of the race, as if they are going to lose their place in a queue . . . allow yourself a wry smile :thumbsup: , as you overtake them 10 - 15 minutes later.

From three miles until approx. ten miles, I'd 'sit' on 6.50 per mile. IF at this pace, you feel great, I'd still hold back until 10 miles. (If you are 'struggling' at ten miles, then you probably aren't yet fit enough to beat 90 minutes).

If you can get to 10 miles in good order, that would be the moment where you should inject some pace. Most people 'struggle towards the end of races; if you speed up and start passing other runners, it'll give you a lift, when you most need it.

If it is windy, take every opportunity to 'hide' behind other runners - even if the pace is slightly slower than you might wish.

Oh yes, some other runners do otherwise, but I have always worked on the principle of concentrating on just one mile at a time. Take your mile split times - it is easiest (imo) to concentrate on individual mile times - thus breaking the race up into small, manageable chunks.

All lot will depend on the weather and the course; but go prepared with a fixed game-plan and you might surprise yourself.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Great advice, Pubrunner, I just have to convert it all into kilometres! ;)

I was thinking along not entirely dissimilar lines whilst I was out yesterday. To go sub-1.30, I need to do an average of 4.17/km. I was planning on starting out in around 4.30 pace, upping it to 4.15 after around 5km, and then keeping in at 4.10 from 10-20 km before running a final km and bit in 4. I think I might run better doing steady 4.12s all the way from 5-20km - we shall see.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
To go sub-1.30, I need to do an average of 4.17/km. I was planning on starting out in around 4.30 pace .

That sounds sensible pacing. Many times in the past, I've set off faster than I should have done - in the belief that I was better than I actually was; of course a few miles down the road, I'd be paying the price.

To go sub-1.30, I need to do an average of 4.17/km. I was planning on starting out in around 4.30 pace, upping it to 4.15 after around 5km, and then keeping in at 4.10 from 10-20 km before running a final km and bit in 4. I think I might run better doing steady 4.12s all the way from 5-20km - we shall see.

The important thing, is not to inject too much extra speed at any one time - or it'll cost you at some stage. I think that after you've been running for 60-70 minutes, you should feel you have a little left in the tank in reserve, rather than painfully hanging on to a slowing pace.

When is the race ?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If all goes well and it ain't too windy, I'm predicting 1:29:25.

Thanks, I'd be very happy with that!

pubrunner

Legendary Member

. . . . . . here in the foothills of the Berwyns, there are very high winds and persistant, heavy rain. Hasn't stopped my missus going out on her bike though :biggrin: . . . . . . . whilst I'm skulking inside in the warmth.

Hope you have better conditions for your Half.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Half-marathon result: 1.32.07 - a couple of minutes slower than I had hoped, but the weather was much hotter than the forecast and I overdressed, which definitely cost me in the last 3-4km, when I slowed down rather than speeding up. Still, I am quite happy. 27th out of 230 FWIW, and 6th in my age group - the winner got 1.10!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Half-marathon result: 1.32.07 - a couple of minutes slower than I had hoped, but the weather was much hotter than the forecast and I overdressed, which definitely cost me in the last 3-4km, when I slowed down rather than speeding up. Still, I am quite happy. 27th out of 230 FWIW, and 6th in my age group - the winner got 1.10!

It sounds as if you had a good run ! Your time must be very close to 7 minutes per mile . . . never could get used to kilometres :whistle:.

Importantly, you've put down a marker for yourself and a sound platfom from which to work; I'd suggest doing a few 5 & 10Ks, before doing another Half.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be highly motivated and looking forward to every training run & race. It is a great situation in which to be and frankly, I'm most envious. I'd love to be doing those sorts of times again - and know that there are improvements to come. Of course, it'd take a great deal of work & commitment to get there. (Note to self - get out and train, you fat, lazy b*st*rd :smile:).

. . . 27th out of 230 FWIW, and 6th in my age group - the winner got 1.10!

Was the 1.10 the overall winner, or the winner in your age group ?

. . . . . . . the weather was much hotter than the forecast and I overdressed,!

Be thankful, that you didn't do the Manchester Marathon, which was held yesterday. The weather was so bad (high winds & rain), that out of (approx.) 8,000 entrants; just 4,500 started the race and quite a few 'dropped out' after a few miles.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'd suggest doing a few 5 & 10Ks, before doing another Half.

I generally run 10k races, but I am actually getting the feeling that I am better at 5k. My next race is actually a 10.5km trail run in 2 weeks (for shoots and giggles) and then I have an 8k road race at the beginning of June. (This is also when the triathlons start... got a couple of sprint tris and then an Olympic, an unusual length long course, another Oly, and then a Half-Ironman. But those are for another thread.)

Was the 1.10 the overall winner, or the winner in your age group ?

Overall. I think the top person in my age group got 1.20. It wasn't a national standard race, but the winner was a serious university runner. By comparison, the winner of the half in Montreal, which is a national standard race, the same day got 1.05, but I would have scraped the Top 250 in that one, rather than the Top 25!

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

I did a 10m run yesterday, first 6m were not easy, some non tarmaced road, some on the road, some cross country. With the sun beaming on my head I had a light heat stroke, my body was boiling hot all day. Got a little tan on my face so Im not complaining. it was my second 10miler race thsi year and did it 5min quicker tahn the first one in April , did yesterday's one in 1hr 29min :smile: very happy with that

Top Bottom