Can we talk about running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
If anyone missed this program on Kenyan athletics a day or two ago, I thought it was excellent. The ideas fitted very well with the Chi Running that I practice. I've put the BBC iPlayer link in so you can click through and watch it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=born to run

Enjoy and I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else.

A really excellent program - possibly the best thing I've seen this year; many thanks for the link !

I strongly recommend that those with an interest in running watch it.

fimm

Veteran
We watched it and thought it was interesting - not a lot about the actual process of running, if you see what I mean, though the stuff about the core being important was interesting as were the slow, low effort training sessions, where they did mostly drills.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I saw that. He, apparently, "didn't want to let the rest of the team down".

Best running moment in the Olympics for me was David Rudisha, 800m WR. How smooth and silky is his technique!?!

It's a perfect combination of cadence and stride length to enable him to recover energy lost when his feet hit the ground. I've been experimenting with this using a heart rate monitor and running faster at a constant heart rate. I've had some success I'm trying to work out how to communicate this 'feel' to see if I can get others to improve.

Pottsy

It's a perfect combination of cadence and stride length to enable him to recover energy lost when his feet hit the ground. I've been experimenting with this using a heart rate monitor and running faster at a constant heart rate. I've had some success I'm trying to work out how to communicate this 'feel' to see if I can get others to improve.
I think I know what you mean. It's like finding a resonant frequency of a system, or a cadence that perfectly matches the spring and recoil in your leg and body system. At that perfect point it all works with as little energy loss as possible. You feel like you can actually go faster yet be using less energy.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Talking about running.... what is considered a "decent" time for 5km on roads and 10km on a road/trail split?

Pottsy

Without trying to be evasive, I'd say that's very difficult to answer as the range of paces that we all run at varies so hugely. I would compare against your own previous times in similar races or circumstances (whilst not going for a best time every training run of course).

So run those distances once and a decent time is to improve slightly on that the next time :smile:

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Without trying to be evasive, I'd say that's very difficult to answer as the range of paces that we all run at varies so hugely. I would compare against your own previous times in similar races or circumstances (whilst not going for a best time every training run of course).

So run those distances once and a decent time is to improve slightly on that the next time :smile:

Cheers Pottsy. I've managed to get down to 23mins for 5km and 50mins dead this week, knocking 3 mins off my best 5km time and 6mins off my previous best 10km time. Oddly, both times I set my best time I was out for what I thought was a "leisure" run, not pushing it or going for it unitl I noticed it was on pace for a PB. Just wondered if these were considered decent times, or am I tortoise slow?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cheers Pottsy. I've managed to get down to 23mins for 5km and 50mins dead this week, knocking 3 mins off my best 5km time and 6mins off my previous best 10km time. Oddly, both times I set my best time I was out for what I thought was a "leisure" run, not pushing it or going for it unitl I noticed it was on pace for a PB. Just wondered if these were considered decent times, or am I tortoise slow?

I think you'll find that with you a proper program of training, you can get a lot quicker than this. Whether you want to put the effort in, is another question. I was 40 this year, and I have got to the point where I can run a 5k in 19, a 10k in under 40 and a half-marathon in just over 1.30 - and I feel like there is plenty more to come*. Two years ago, I was doing over 1.45 for the half and over 46 for a 10k. I didn't even do 5k because I thought it was too short and too fast for me. One of the things that changed was that attitude. I have been concentrating more on running shorter distances faster and at the same time running longer distances easier in training. I also run intervals and do hill repetitions. This seems to make me faster at longer distances when it comes to races.

*this is all dependent on whether my knee ligaments will allow me to run seriously again.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Talking about running.... what is considered a "decent" time for 5km on roads and 10km on a road/trail split?

http://www.essexroadrunning.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=135

Do a parkrun. You'll get a % time for someone your age. I do them now and again to get a referrence for training. Good fun, easy to setup and do.

Something similar for swimmers is NOWCA. http://www.nowca.org/default.aspx anyone can be a NOWCA swimmer like a park runner. Not many locations yet but looking to expand this.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Time to resurrect this thread...

Regular readers will remember that I messed up my knee ligaments in a 10k last July. I wasn't able to run without pain until the end of the year, and I left it a few months longer just to make sure, and because I was dreading the work required to get back into race shape.

Well, I've started the work now. I'm in Denmark for a couple of months and I've got a great set of routes in a nearby forest. I've been doing a rolling 7k every morning for a couple of weeks with a longer run on the weekend followed by a day off. This week I have just started to alternate my regular route with about 4k + lots of short steep intervals (basically, run up the slope as fast as I can, jog down, and repeat until I can't stand up anymore).

I'm hoping to be in good enough shape to compete when I head back to Japan in June (for the next year). But I can't take my tri bike so it may be running only...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Different problem for me. Gut pains whilst running after Xmas. It’s meant next to no running or cycling.
Went to the Doc and she sent me to the local walk in centre for a scan. They found a ‘defect’, small hernia. Strangely on the opposite side to where most of the pain was, but they said there may be one there too, just they can’t see it.
Comedy of errors since then.
Missing paperwork.
Repeated scans.
Appointments with 12 hours notice.
Missing hernias.
“We’ll see you in a month” translating to “The appointment will be in just over 2 months…”
And the old one of trying to get past the medical secretary who is a professional stonewall.
Eventually it’ll get sorted. I’ve had to rearrange plans, miss races. I’m resigned to looking forward to just one race this year. The York Marathon in October. Meantime I’ve got one upset cocker spaniel who’s used to regular 5-20 mile runs.

Top Bottom