Can you convince me to buy a bent trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

Well the recent weather is making me see the merits of a bent trike.

However, there are negatives that need to be resolved before I part with cash. Excuse the possible "slaps head in despair" moment, that bent trike riders may experience when reading these concerns.

They are:

1. Storage. I haven't got a massive garage.

2. Road spray from vehicles. How bad is it?

3. Seemingly banal, but doesnt the rain just collect in your seat as you ride and if you are wearing waterproof trousers doesn't it run down and collect inside your jacket?

Cheers for any advice.

OP
OP
Mac66

Mac66

Well the recent weather is making me see the merits of a bent trike.

However, there are negatives that need to be resolved before I part with cash. Excuse the possible "slaps head in despair" moment, that bent trike riders may experience when reading these concerns.

They are:

3. Seemingly banal, but doesnt the rain just collect in your seat as you ride and if you are wearing waterproof trousers doesn't it run down and collect inside your jacket?

Cheers for any advice.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
They are brilliant, well worth it.

1. Storage is a problem - we had to buy a new shed.

2. Not too bad really - depends on the weather (obviously). But I don't get spray up my back from the rear wheel either.

3. The rain tends to puddle on my belly. None seems to go down my neck at all - I just have a normal Altura Night Vision jacket. The belly puddle is no issue. More of a problem is if you leave the trike out in the rain as you then have a wet seat so I tend to wear waterproof trousers more than I might on an upright.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
They are brilliant, well worth it.

1. Storage is a problem - we had to buy a new shed.

2. Not too bad really - depends on the weather (obviously). But I don't get spray up my back from the rear wheel either.

3. The rain tends to puddle on my belly. None seems to go down my neck at all - I just have a normal Altura Night Vision jacket. The belly puddle is no issue. More of a problem is if you leave the trike out in the rain as you then have a wet seat so I tend to wear waterproof trousers more than I might on an upright.

squeaker

Über Member
Trike cons

Mac66 said:
Mine hangs from a hook on the ceiling against a wall, bat stylee :boxing:
Mac66 said:
Spray from one's own front wheels can be more of an issue, IME: need mudguards with spray flaps and an inner barrier of some sort.
Mac66 said:
Most hard seats have drain holes (a Ventisit cushion is also recommended); no problem with mesh seats. Belly puddles can form, but not had a problem with decent waterproofs.

squeaker

Über Member
Trike cons

Mac66 said:
Mine hangs from a hook on the ceiling against a wall, bat stylee :cycle:
Mac66 said:
Spray from one's own front wheels can be more of an issue, IME: need mudguards with spray flaps and an inner barrier of some sort.
Mac66 said:
Most hard seats have drain holes (a Ventisit cushion is also recommended); no problem with mesh seats. Belly puddles can form, but not had a problem with decent waterproofs.

RIDE ONE!

All the incentive that is needed!

Where are you based geographically?

trickletreat

Veteran
As long as you are fit enough,and the trike is light, hang it on a wall. You can also suspend it from the ceilling and raise and lower with simple winch.

Road spray from other vehicles is not a problem, but i do wear glasses to protect my eyes from all the grit and chippings on the roads!

My forearms can get damp from spray from front wheels, even with mud guards fitted, but only on very wet/slushy roads.

No problem with puddling owing to movement when pedalling/cornering.

trickletreat

Veteran
As long as you are fit enough,and the trike is light, hang it on a wall. You can also suspend it from the ceilling and raise and lower with simple winch.

Road spray from other vehicles is not a problem, but i do wear glasses to protect my eyes from all the grit and chippings on the roads!

My forearms can get damp from spray from front wheels, even with mud guards fitted, but only on very wet/slushy roads.

No problem with puddling owing to movement when pedalling/cornering.

3tyretrackterry

Buy one
They dont take up as much room as you think you can be inventive with storage
No spray problems for this rider
No problems with puddling!!
Loads more respect on the road from drivers where i live
lots of positive comments from peds and other cyclists as well as cars
No sore back or backside
cant fall off in normal use or at slow speeds
need i go on
big recommend to try before you buy as one persons dream could be anothers nightmare
try D tek in Ely

3tyretrackterry

Buy one
They dont take up as much room as you think you can be inventive with storage
No spray problems for this rider
No problems with puddling!!
Loads more respect on the road from drivers where i live
lots of positive comments from peds and other cyclists as well as cars
No sore back or backside
cant fall off in normal use or at slow speeds
need i go on
big recommend to try before you buy as one persons dream could be anothers nightmare
try D tek in Ely

I'm just back from my first ride of 2010 and Boy was that good! I used the trike and in the first two miles came across several patches of ice which would have given me pause on a two wheeler. (justification 1!) Instead I did my usual 30 mile circuit down the Nith estuary in winter sunshine with skeins of Barnacle Geese, Waders, various Raptors. Brilliant! On a trike you can look around so much more. Even better than a bent two wheeler. (Justification 2)

Top Bottom