Can you cycle in jeans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
My first few century rides were accomplished in jeans and trainers (in the 80's!:ohmy: ). Most other riders were similarly clad. Still managed under 8 hours, just. Nowadays I do wear lycra but it's not the be all and end all.

tyred

Legendary Member
I use a velcro ankle band if I'm wearing jeans, etc on the bike. Doesn't seem to have stopped most of the clothes I own having a chainring mark on them though!

Wear black socks and tuck your trousers into them. The chain marks won't show on the black socks.

With trousers tucked into my socks, I've always been super trendy :thumbsup:

Norm

May have a look at those Craghoppers Norm, is it any particular model and they're not too skinny a fit are they?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Skinny? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

42" waist, 29" leg. Is that "not too skinny" enough for you? :thumbsup:

Not sure on the name, MacB, and today is the first day I'm not wearing them this week, as I'm all booted and suited for a meeting I had earlier. I think they were the Kiwi Stretch trousers but the cargo pocket has velcro rather than a popper.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Skinny? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

42" waist, 29" leg. Is that "not too skinny" enough for you? :thumbsup:

Not sure on the name, MacB, and today is the first day I'm not wearing them this week, as I'm all booted and suited for a meeting I had earlier. I think they were the Kiwi Stretch trousers but the cargo pocket has velcro rather than a popper.

chuckle all you like my rotund buddy, while I keep my fingers crossed that a 42" will be big enough for me :blush:

Norm

chuckle all you like my rotund buddy, while I keep my fingers crossed that a 42" will be big enough for me :blush:
Chuckling entirely at myself, sir, and the idea that I might be recommending something which could be considered "skinny". ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Chuckling entirely at myself, sir, and the idea that I might be recommending something which could be considered "skinny". ;)

just had a look at the Craghoppers website and reviews on the Kiwi stretch are mixed, the main negative being they come up small compared to advertised site. So I'm not going to risk ordering online, will steel myself and risk venturing into TKMax instead.

Alan Whicker

Wearing jeans (as I do every day) I overtook a lycra-clad roadie this morning. He wasn't going very fast, though
biggrin.gif

nightoff

I haven't worn jeans on the bike for years. I don't think it would be a problem for short journeys.

When I was a kid I used to wear jeans all the time and cycle for miles without any problems that I remember.

Norm

just had a look at the Craghoppers website and reviews on the Kiwi stretch are mixed, the main negative being they come up small compared to advertised site. So I'm not going to risk ordering online, will steel myself and risk venturing into TKMax instead.
I just posted a review because all those who gave the trousers 1 star did so because of the sizing. I grabbed that size because that's what I wear from M&S and they fitted perfectly straight off.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm surprised they come up small. I find the normal Kiwis are usually generously sized (they are the only trousers I fit a 38" in
blush.gif
). I wonder if those is what they are comparing them to.

The normal Kiwis make good cycling trousers, but need the bottom of the legs clipped to the leg just like jeans. I'm thinking about getting some zip-off ones for touring this summer.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have never found jeans to be that comfortable when cycling. I am a 34"-36" waist ATM and I find that due to my chunky thighs, jeans which are a good fit for walking about in are quite tight on the top of the leg when on the bike, most noticeably at the top of the pedal stroke. I will be looking for some general trousers for shorter rides as soon as the new TKMaxx opens on the retail park in the spring. Until then it's Decathlon longs for the commute and weekend rides, DHB sorts for the warmer weather (when it arrives) and jogging bottoms for everywhere else.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycled about 19 miles today in jeans ... I'm not keen on doing further distances than that in jeans. As for whether they get worn ... they do eventually when you have done a LOT of miles in them... I have some distinct sit bone white worn patches on my jeans. But they are my cycling jeans so that I wear them lots on the bike in winter time - and they are bought specifically for the bike - so they have a bit of stretch in them. I have other pairs of jeans (my good pairs!!!) which aren't so comfortable / are not so skinny at the ankles that I will wear occasionally on the bike but not regularly and for less than 10 miles.

Top Bottom