Can you cycle in jeans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
To the OP - yes. I do qite a lot. Prefer an old (= soft from washing) pair of ordinary trousers. Chino's are OK but tend to flap about too much. Jeans are horrible if they get wet though, as said by others above.

Lycra irritates my skin and causes a rash so even if I'm out all day I use normal trousers UNLESS

If it's warm enough I prefer ordinary sports shots to anything else.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I don't even own any cycling clothes aside from my Victorian costume.

Best.
Quote.
Ever!

MAMIKnickerbockers :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I first started riding seriously I did many a club run in jeans with the legs tucked into the tartan patterned knee length socks which were standard wear back then. Many cyclists, particularly the younger ones wore ordinary trousers for other than racing as proper cycling kit was relatively expensive in those less affluent days and one didn't tend to get it during the early years.

potsy

Rambler
chuckle all you like my rotund buddy, while I keep my fingers crossed that a 42" will be big enough for me :blush:

Chuckling entirely at myself, sir, and the idea that I might be recommending something which could be considered "skinny". ;)

I got some Craghoppers from Millets last year, not sure of the exact model will have to find them to check.
Perfect I thought, 38 waist 29 leg but they actually are quite a big 38's and look a bit like I am wearing a pair of Norms pants now
biggrin.gif

Very rarely do any casual riding, it's usually commute or Sunday long ride, but I would wear a similar kind of lightweight Cargo pant, actually bought some from BHS that have turned out to be my favourite pair now.

DTD

Veteran
Usually do a 10 mile commute in jeans.

bSpoke are having a big sale, they do stuff that doesn't look too 'cycling'.
I got a pair of their Putney shorts which seem quite smart and feel comfy – not done enough miles in them yet to know for sure – their Holland Casual Trousers seem good – £18.84 instead of £62.80.

http://www.bspoke.co.uk/

A bit OT, I was in town today and the weather was rank to say the least :rain:. I passed a bloke on Queen Street with a full Ortlieb pannier; maybe wrong here but I'd associate a full Ortlieb with quite an experienced cyclist. Not that it really matters, he was wearing jeans, I wouldn't have associated jeans with an experienced cyclist on a day like today; hey ho :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
A bit OT, I was in town today and the weather was rank to say the least :rain:. I passed a bloke on Queen Street with a full Ortlieb pannier; maybe wrong here but I'd associate a full Ortlieb with quite an experienced cyclist. Not that it really matters, he was wearing jeans, I wouldn't have associated jeans with an experienced cyclist on a day like today; hey ho :smile:

If the Ortlieb was full of shopping, it may simply have been a convenience thing. I'd wear jeans for day to day stuff about town, even in the rain. I only wear 'proper' cyclewear for longer rides-for-the-sake-of-riding.

I also have Craghoppers and recommend them - I wear them for work - day in day out for the last year, and often riding a Maximus trike. I wear waterproof trousers over them in winter, so they are still looking remarkably good.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I used to cycle in jeans as a teenager, and still do today for short trips. My jeans used to wear out at knee and crotch far faster than they do these days.

If the Ortlieb was full of shopping, it may simply have been a convenience thing. I'd wear jeans for day to day stuff about town, even in the rain. I only wear 'proper' cyclewear for longer rides-for-the-sake-of-riding.

I also have Craghoppers and recommend them - I wear them for work - day in day out for the last year, and often riding a Maximus trike. I wear waterproof trousers over them in winter, so they are still looking remarkably good.
I know what you are saying but in todays weather :rain: rather him than me but hey ho, thats their choice :-)

snailracer

Über Member
I have a pair of (men's) jeans from M&S that are slightly stretchy, which makes them tolerable for short rides. They also claim to be rain-repellent, though I've never put that to the test.

Stretchy jeans were originally available only in women's cut, hence the fixie hipsters' liking for "wearing their sister's jeans".

longers

Legendary Member
I cycle in jeans but they wouldn't be my first choice and I try to avoid them if I'm on the bike with the Brooks B17 saddle, the saddle and the seam don't play well together.

I'm happy for about fifteen dry miles with that combination. It feels good to ride in proper clothes every now and again.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I only cycle in jeans, or my worktrousers (I don't have an alternative) :tongue:

I always keep a pair of worktrousers in my panniers in case it starts persisting it down. Cycling in wet jeans is horrible.

Top Bottom