Can you do a sportive on a touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambridgebecca

I would like to start entering bike events but my bike is a tourer. I did do the London to Cambridge on a hybrid with a huge basket on the front about 10 years ago but it all seems a bit more competitive these days. Do I need a road bike to enter events? I am fairly fit and cycle all the time - although living in Cambridge I don't do a lot of hills!

Peteaud

Veteran
No you dont need a road bike.

Check out Audax as well.

Wightdragon

You've paid for it, ride a unicycle if you want.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I would like to start entering bike events but my bike is a tourer. I did do the London to Cambridge on a hybrid with a huge basket on the front about 10 years ago but it all seems a bit more competitive these days. Do I need a road bike to enter events? I am fairly fit and cycle all the time - although living in Cambridge I don't do a lot of hills!
Yes you need a road bike, at least £5k carbon fibre with unobtanium drive train, you definitely need a helmet, lots of gels, a subscription to Cycling Plus, Rapha and Assos everything, power meter, 10 point training plan, gels, protein shakes, CO2 inflators, a spare helmet, gels, energy bars, an inability to fix anything on your bike, energy drink- the more expensive the better, gels, a spare spare helmet, a carbon fibre she-wee, a job in sales with a BMW, really really expensive shades with a minimum of 23 different interchangeable lenses, toilet paper in case you need to krapp on a New Forest village green, gels, strava enabled i-something, an ability to bragg, spare gels, tools with Lezyne stamped on them, a lack of imagination or free will, no friends. Oh, and some gels, more money than sense (sportive a only).
Schitt I nearly forgot to say, don't forget to wear an expensive and mostly useless helmet.

Alternatively .... Just enjoy riding what you have.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I saw a bloke do a sportive on a Brompton.
Ride what you like, it's there for your enjoyment, and achievement. Not for what others think of you.
Saw a fold of three doing the Manchester 100 - they were shifting too :smile:

If you can get your bike around the course, go for it. I've seen people ride everything from racked up hybrids, through tandems (with attached trailer with a labrador in it) to full CRABON race bikes.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate just rode the Gorilla Sportive on an S Works mtb. No problems.
Ride what you want!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You could always Audax ....

audaxspotting_white.png

Top Bottom