Can you get fat just eating fruit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I'm a nutrition dummy, so I wondered:
  • Is all fruit fat free?
  • Can you get fat eating only fruit?
Cheers,
Shaun :rofl:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You get fat from eating excess calories.

You don't get fat from eating fat.

Fat contains a greater number of calories for it's weight than other foods, so you can quickly exceed your calorific needs by eating fatty food.

Fruit is generally low in fat, but if you eat enough fruit to exceed your calorifc needs, you will get fat. Any sweet ripe fruit is certainly not a 'calorie free snack'. People don't eat bananas on rides to give them the vitamins!

Is avacado a fruit? It's high in both fat and sugar.

Bodhbh

Guru
Think an apple is 50-60 calories for example, so you can stuff a fair amount per day before it starts making a dent. Compare that to 1000+ for a fancy coffee and a muffin at Costalot.

jimboalee said:
What Admin really wanted to ask was "Who watched 'Supersize vs Superskinny' last night?"
I saw the beginning. The bloke was about my height, but weighed about 9 stone more than me .. and I ain't slim!!

numbnuts is right, also. the bloke had bigger thruppeny bits than she did.

Ravenz

Bodhbh said:
Think an apple is 50-60 calories for example, so you can stuff a fair amount per day before it starts making a dent. Compare that to 1000+ for a fancy coffee and a muffin at Costalot.

making me hungry now (after me bimble ride :smile:)... 1000+?? cheap at 1/2 the price.. gonna sneak me own muffioso tho!

col

Legendary Member
If you eat a hand of bananas a day its possible,the same as avacado, star fruit,Kiwi I think too, as well as grapes as they are high in sugar. The ones to eat with out worry are apples and pears but even certain types of pears are not good like guyot. Unless your eating nothing but fruit its unlikely, as you can subsidise quite a lot of fruit with your normal diet and not put weight on, plus you will be forever going to the toilet with the extra water your taking on board :sad:

I saw it wrote that avocado is closest to being the single food which can provide every nutrient a human needs. Unfortunately one would need to consume 35,000 calories a day.

walker

fruits, although mainly fat free, are full of sugars, therefore more calorie filled than vegitables (hence why they say to eat more vegitables than fruit).

Can fruit make you fat? sure, if you eat enough of it, but you'd be far to ill to eat anymore than 10 bits of fruit in one day anyway.

Blonde

walker said:
You'd be far to ill to eat anymore than 10 bits of fruit in one day anyway.

Ye olde softies! I must be really ill then! :biggrin: maybe it depends on the sizes of the fruits, but I often eat more than 10 fruits or pieces of fruit in a day. I have been known to eat a whole melon as well as a whole punnet of grapes/blueberries/raspberries and some dates on top of the usual two or three bananas, two oranges, apple or pear and the mixed dried fruit in my porridge that I eat every day. If we have a box of cheap mangoes from Bolton market they usually need eating really quickly, so I'll have to eat at least a couple a day on top of my other fruits to get through them all before they go off. If I make a smoothie that uses at least 5 or 6 fruit or fruit portions in about a pint of drink!

Top Bottom