Can you lose your toes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Whenever it gets bitterly cold such as today, my toes get very painful and numb. It happens pretty much immediately when I go outside and remains painful for my whole ride. When I get home, it normally takes about half an hour to get full feeling back.
I always wear thick walking socks and often have my overshoes on in this weather. However, it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I am getting a little concerned that this constant freezing temp and then sudden burst of warmth when I get home is doing damage to my toes.
Has anyone had any experience of problems with their toes due to the cold?

I have similar with my hands, full finger gloves even in summer, multi layers in winter, silk liners, latex boil in the bag and thick windproof thinsulates but my fingertips are still too painful & numb to get changed into a shirt for 10 mins or so when I get to work in sub zero temps. The tips feel like they're stuffed with popping candy as they warm up. My GP isn't worried, as I have a bit of poor circulation to my arms anyway, as long as I'm sensible and don't plonk them in hot water as a quick fix immediately upon arrival (did that once & nearly yelled the windows out)

It might be prudent to nip to the GP and ask about e.g. Reynauds if they discolour as well as getting wildly cold to be sure you're just a soft jessie like me :whistle: and not medically suffering

Crankarm

Guru
I lost my toes once.

They're always in the last place you look!

I'm always losing my hands but end up finding them at the ends of my armies.

PK99

Legendary Member
Whenever it gets bitterly cold such as today, my toes get very painful and numb. It happens pretty much immediately when I go outside and remains painful for my whole ride. When I get home, it normally takes about half an hour to get full feeling back.
I always wear thick walking socks and often have my overshoes on in this weather. However, it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I am getting a little concerned that this constant freezing temp and then sudden burst of warmth when I get home is doing damage to my toes.
Has anyone had any experience of problems with their toes due to the cold?

Try neoprene overshoes

Crankarm

Guru
Whenever I have my thick socks on, I always make sure that the shoes arent too tight. I have had blisters on the outside of my feet in the past where the shoe has been rubbing so I now ensure that they are not too tight.

Matthew - you have to use a layering system. Thin sock, mid sock, then thick sock ideally a thick fleecy sock (Feet Heaters 2.5tog) as has already been suggested then winter shoes/boots (+1 size larger than normal). One pair of thick socks will NOT keep your feet warm. Perhaps you should invest in a pair of winter cycling boots such as Shimano MW80s.

You could also put some toe warmers in your shoes/boots such that skiers and climbers use.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Did you try any of these suggestions with success Matthew?
I havent been out since my commute on Tuesday. And my toes were okay then but I think it was due to me wearing my leggins under my waterproof trousers (something I only do when it is particularly cold). .
Tomorrow I will try the double sock technique.

geo

I used to have a similar issue of very cold feet even on a chilly not freezing day. Somebody on here suggested Assos socks (thank you ). I had always avoided Assos kit due to the heavy price tag that comes with it. Anyway I decided to give it a try and bought 2 pair of Assos winter socks and a pair of Castelli neoprene overshoes, the result being my feet feel like I'm sitting infront of the fire even on the coldest of days. I really cannot stress enough how good these socks are for me, yes there expensive for a pair of socks but they work so who cares what they cost. Good luck.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just a thought but are you keeping your lower legs warm enough, especially around the ankles. If your blood gets cold then keeping your feet warm is never going to happen. Even a small drop is blood temp is enough to cause problems. For this reason I find that thermal compression calf guards are essential at very lot temps.
Good point, and one that took a long time for me to realise :blush:.
Heat holders for me, plus Diadora chili winter boots, several sizes too big, plus leg warmers. Although ive not been out much this winter and even less so in the real cold, ive found myself much more comfortable.

Those who don't suffer, don't understimate how much it hurts...Christ i could cry sometimes after 1 hour in sub zero temps, ive seen me sit on the stairs after taking my shoes off and rock in pain, its excruciating.

Poor circulation, it must be. I did see someone mentioned cold hands, even when just out walking ?...thats me.

redste

I'm another one suffering with cold feet, even today in a mildish 5 degrees!!
I was thinking that maybe my feet are sweating, the sweat turns cold then making my feet cold???
People have suggested plastic bags. Don't these just make your feet sweat even more?
I think it could be a circulation problem with me, my hands and feet are cold nearly all the time, indoors and out.

beastie

Guru
I have Shimano MW80's and they are awesome. If I am on a ride in the country I wear some cheap Aldi over shoes to keep the shoot off them. 1 pair Aldi winter socks, boots and Aldi overshoes saw me do 50 mile in minus 4-5 and my toes were toasty and I have had probs in the past. I will be getting some lobster gloves for next year too.

When your out and it's really cold you may feel a bit warm for 30 mins, but when your core temp drops your extremitys will.feel very cold very quickly. If you keep your body temp up then your toes should cope better.

Top Bottom