Can you mount your bike from the wrong side..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think it is a balance thing due to the dominant side of your brain, like being right and left handed

i get on from the left, pedal off with my right foot, and only feel comfortable at standstill with right foot down.. i also find it much easier to ride with only left hand on handlebars, as opposed to right hand, which feels a bit wobbly..- and i am right handed..

Fiona N

Veteran
I can get on the bike from either side (courtesy of many years living in foreign parts, I think) but I do hate having to push off with the right foot (i.e. with left foot already clipped in).

More oddly, I can only get onto the adductor machine (the one where you squeeze your thighs together) at the gym from the left side :ohmy:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I can ride with either hand on the handlebars and feel safe.
Got to push off with my let foot.
But my dominent foot changes. When i was younger i would push with my left foot on a scooter but i kick a ball with my right foot.
I'm right handed and rubbish with my left hand.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
snorri said:
It feels quite awkward mounting from the opposite side in foreign parts I find.:sad:
Are we still talking about bicycles at this point? :biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Fnaar, I think so, although I can never be sure. However I'm another that mounts the bicycle from the left side and clips the right foot in first. I do this regardles of which side of the road the traffic is driving (riding)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mortiroloboy

I mount up by slinging my left leg over the saddle, when I unclip I unclip right foot first, then I sling my left leg over the handle bars.

Dave5N

Über Member
dantheman said:
never noticed.. -where do i find my "wrong hand"??- i can only find my left and right hand...- or am i just weird?

The wrong one is the one that isn't right. :biggrin:

I can do either side. Frankly amazed people can't.

As a very talented man once observed: what difference does it make?

Zoiders

Always from the left, never tried it from the IIRC, but I will tommorow

The strange thing is that I ride a snow board or skate board goofy footed but I am right handed

Top Bottom