Can you recommend a GPS unit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am basically looking for a cheap GPS device that can track my position and speed over a ride.

There is no real need for one that can tell me where to go, with a screen and graphics, as I usually plan my route before and memorize it, or write down notes and bring OS maps along. Just a simple thing that I can keep on my person and will record GPS data to a memory card for uploading to the net later one.

Price would be a big consideration as I very rarely have much to spend on goodies for the bike. If there is something like I have described for around £50 then I would be happy.

I don't have a smart phone to use for this purpose as I just a have a Samsung candy bar style phone that only makes calls and sends messages, nothing else.

Cheers,
thumbsup.png

Tom.

Holux
I've got a GPSport260 which will do all you want of it. It will record routes which you can download to the supplied software, then export if you want (I use google maps like this).
You can plan routes with it but it only a greyscale breadcrumb trail. The PC software will do all sorts of stat analysis too.

It is over your budget but they do have some other options on the site too. Simple logger maybe?

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
How about the Garmin Etrex H which is a really good reliable simple gps unit (plotter). Can get one of these from amazon for about £55 inc p&p. You will need to buy a RS232 serial port connector so you can upload to your computer. They can be a tad expensive £16 but shop around as I picked one up from ebay for £8. I use memory map to upload my data to. The unit runs off two AA batteries which last a good number of hours, I have used mine over 7 hrs on a set of re-chargeables. Have a browse for threads on here to get a good idea of what is available for your budget.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I like the look of the Holux models, the 260 looks like it fits the bill perfectly but I could probably make do with245 model if needs must. I hope that they record the speed as well as display it as that would be one of the main features that I'd be looking for in GPS. The loggers don't mention speed or altitude at all so it looks like the Outdoor GPS will be what I need.

Closer to payday at the end of the month I may give them a call just to confirm what exactly each model records to be sure.

Speed is recorded throughout your route, it can be viewed with the supplied software, routes exported as a KMZ file to google, stats exported as an Excel file.
You might get idea I'm impressed with it. It's not a great deal more than a conventional cycle computer but the route tracking makes it so much more than one.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I use my garmin etrex venture hc that was bought for geocaching. Switch it on and pop in my back pocket. Best thing about garmin products is the garmin connect site.

I use a BRYTON RIDER 35, don't know if this fits into your budget, but it expandable by way of adding a HR belt and/or extra sensors, and you can set it for speed or cadence, or you can add another sensor for both, or do what I do, use one sensor set for cadence because the unit records speed vis GPS anyway :thumbsup:

The software can be a bit fiddly, but overall I think the unit is fantastic. It's very clear, hugely customisable, very neat and compact on your bars and the battery seems to last and last.

Th link I supplied was purely the cheapest result that came back on Google, but I bought mine from Merlin as they were the cheapest at that time :thumbsup:

Top Bottom