Can you recommend good glove liners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
My old silk lining gloves where great lasted for years but replaces them a few weeks ago with a cheap pair from Ebay that ripped after only a few times?

Know theres lots but want thin liners for under cycling gloves that are both warm and will last? Any views on silk vs lyra?

Twilkes

Guru
Would some thin wool gloves not work, or is there a reason for silk/lycra?

yello

Personally, I find silk to be much better. I find lycra ones a combination of too restrictive and too warm/insufficiently breathable. Plus, as mentioned above, you can still do stuff without removing silk liners (though, truth be told, I've never picked my nose with them on)

I have some good ones I got from Decathlon - not the ones linked to above, similar but more minimal and no doubt no longer available. I also have a pair I like that I got from Lewis Kit (they do/did triathlon gear) but I don't think the company exists any more. They really don't have to be cycling specific and probably any decent outdoor equipment shop (Blacks, Field & Trek, etc etc etc) will have silk liner gloves. Less is more imho so I avoid anything with long/bulky cuffs or prominent stitching.

I have to say thought that I do run hot so tend not to overdress. I have a pair of winter gloves that I very very rarely wear because they are simply too warm for all but the coldest of weather (ditto socks btw)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use disposable plastic gloves, like ones you see on petrol forecourts. Cheap, disposable, useful if you have a mechanical en route, no need to wash and dry.

These do make my hands sweat but this would happen in a winter glove. The benefit is the bulk of the sweat gets trapped in the plastic glove and the outer don't get soaked on the inside.

I usually carry a spare pair to swap over at the cafe.

I use disposable plastic gloves, like ones you see on petrol forecourts. Cheap, disposable, useful if you have a mechanical en route, no need to wash and dry.

These do make my hands sweat but this would happen in a winter glove. The benefit is the bulk of the sweat gets trapped in the plastic glove and the outer don't get soaked on the inside.

I usually carry a spare pair to swap over at the cafe.
Paul, are you sitting down?

OK, good - now google "wicking fabrics".

Or don't, and be happy that plastic garage gloves are the best things out there.👍

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Paul, are you sitting down?

OK, good - now google "wicking fabrics".

Or don't, and be happy that plastic garage gloves are the best things out there.👍
Oh yes I know wicking fabrics and wear a lot in winter, especially my winter jacket which is divine.

My experience with inner gloves is the outer glove gets soaked and I still have cold hands.

I do understand plastic is very poor but it works for me. :okay:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have two pairs of liner gloves...

a Merino pair made by a brand called 'Oasis' and an older pair by Altura which is also thick enough to be worn on their own.

I find the Merino pair rather thin and not that warm so i wear them with a pair GripGrab Hurricane gloves that are windproof, have absolutely nothing for insulation and are a bit too form fitting to fit the Altura gloves over without a struggle.

I think you can get the Alturas between £10-12. Ive mainly been wearing them under a pair of North Face Etip (non cycling) gloves all the way down to 3-4'c and they have been decent. I say decent as in hands can still get cold (the etips arent very thick or windproof) but not freezing

I have heard a lot of positive talk about cheap silk glove liners bought off ebay, but im waiting till all mine are worn out before i change up.

Top Bottom