Can you relate to Froome?I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phill Stevenson

Me too. I was slightly surprised by the allusions earlier in this thread to Bradley having a flawed personality, and, if I had been feeling braver, I might have asked for more details.:ohmy:

There might be this perception that a cyclist is a TV personality, normally I've seen it as quite the opposite. On the rare occasion in sport you'll have a blessed individual such as Andy Murray who can both play at the top level and deliver in the interviews. I prefer to see these individuals who break themselves to reach the top level and some how struggle to interview. Gives viewers a glimpse into the mind of what this winners at the top end of sport really thinks!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
There might be this perception that a cyclist is a TV personality, normally I've seen it as quite the opposite. On the rare occasion in sport you'll have a blessed individual such as Andy Murray who can both play at the top level and deliver in the interviews. I prefer to see these individuals who break themselves to reach the top level and some how struggle to interview. Gives viewers a glimpse into the mind of what this winners at the top end of sport really thinks!
Hasn't Murray had training in media now though? I seem to recall at the beginning of his career he was a belligerent git who was generally monosyllabic when the microphone got close to him.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hasn't Murray had training in media now though? I seem to recall at the beginning of his career he was a belligerent git who was generally monosyllabic when the microphone got close to him.
That's my recollection too, although I admit to following Tennis about as much as I follow Association Football, so could well be wrong. I will secure my monocle with stronger glue, in case I am forcefully corrected.

It seemed rather a shame that people weren't happy for him just to be a very competent Tennis player, in some ways.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Murray was pretty dour, coming from a family of dour Scots I never had an issue with it and in some ways understand why people are like this, although it is quite often misinterpreted as arrogance when it isn't, but nowadays everyone in the public eye is expected to be polished in front of the camera despite it being irrelevant to how they perform in their chosen arena. When they don't they get vilified in the press. As said it is a shame people can't just be liked for performing well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The trouble now is that so many people are brought up believing the stupid "Celebrity Culture" we have foisted on us is real. When they see Cheryl and Simon or whoever carefully repeating what ever it is their PR team has instructed them to say they think it is all for real. When they come across sportsmen like Hamilton, Murray, Froome or Wiggins who speak off the cuff like the rest of us they can't comprehend it.

I don't understand how anyone who doesn't know Wiggins can call him a cock like some on here have, they must have led extremely sheltered lives if they think he is anything out of the ordinary.

Citius

Bit harsh.

You're right, it was harsh to single out the Tour highlights. I should have included 'The Cycle Show' as well, which usually followed straight after... :blush:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't understand all this nonsense about nationality. If someone qualifies to compete for Britain, and considers themselves British, then they're British as far as I'm concerned. Not every Briton can be born and raised in Britain to two British-born parents and four British-born grandparents.

To answer the OP, I'd say I relate more to Wiggins than Froome because Wiggins is a miserable, sarcastic sod and so am I.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Newsflash - nobody wins GC without a team. This is what happens when you get all your cycling knowledge from watching ITV4 highlights.
Funny that as i didnt miss a single minute of tour coverage shown on eurosport.........but thats what happens when people make pathetic assumptions of ones tdf knowledge

Tin Pot

Guru
Fantastic victory for Chris Froome and Team Sky, in what I consider the best Tour de France I can remember. So I consider it a bit of a shame that the media keep plugging away with telling us that the British public can't relate to him, or that he hasn't got the same appeal as Sir Bradley Wiggins.

Personally, I have total admiration and respect for Froome and all that he has achieved, backed, of course, by a fantastic team. His athletic prowess and work ethic stand alone, and I always enjoyed listening to his measured, calm and straight answers during post-stage interviews.

I guess Wiggins is always going to be the bigger star, as the first Briton to win the Tour, and for his exploits during the Olympics, but his self-centred arrogant attitude (which may be a necessary part of his make up to achieve his undoubted successes I guess) really grate with me.

If Froome really doesn't connect with the public just because he possibly comes across as slightly reserved when being interviewed then that is a real shame, because he's every bit as capable as any other Brit in the saddle.......and he's our first multiple Tour winner.

Okay he lives in Monaco, but that is as much to do with access to training environments as anything else, but when all is said and done, Froome is just as British as Sir Brad.

I don't dislike Wiggins, but I just hope Chris Froome gets the deserved recognition for his absolutely outstanding achievements.
Why do some people think athletes should be nice people?

Citius

Funny that as i didnt miss a single minute of tour coverage shown on eurosport.........but thats what happens when people make pathetic assumptions of ones tdf knowledge

Ah well, if you watched Eurosport - that changes everything.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Can I relate to Froome, eh? Well, I admire the guy and respect his grit, determination and achievements, but other than riding a bike myself don't relate in the slightest.

Top Bottom