Can you wheelie ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Class

grldtnr

Not on my recumbent I can't , more to the point , whatever for , why is it so important to demonstrate that you can pull a wheelie?
It is one of the things that gets my angst up the most ,, seeing delinquent 's whizzing through town centres on the back wheel,more so heavily predestrianized areas.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I could a few years ago..

Wheelie.JPG

C'est moi somewhere around Coed y Brenin.

Tom B

Guru
Nope never have been able to, but then I haven't invested a lot of time in trying. I can pop enough of a wheelie to land awkward hops or jumps or get up things on the MTB. But can't maintain one.

Not important. Just shows a level of skill and balance. Those who can't wheelie are often the most annoyed / perplexed by those that can...... :whistle:

I think you overestimate how much time I spend worrying about it! But then I've often said any MTB pace (and i seem to have at least some) I have is more about bravery/stupidity and fitness than skill.

I was more pleased I managed to track stand for about a minute a few days ago at some traffic lights. That seems to be something I've inadvertently developed.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When I was a lad, wheelies were the measure of how good a cyclist you were (that, and going up hills without stopping). I practiced quite a lot but never got very far.

I would like to add that I think it's highly irresponsible to "advertise"/show kids doing wheelies through traffic. There are certain groups of teenagers who do this around me and are the scourge of the town. Plus they're going to get squashed one day

Yeah - when faced with the choice between decent mudguards and being able to do a wheelie I chose the old person's option

mutter mutter mutter - line of wet mud up you back mutter mutter

On a similar point - last summer a group of lads were coming towards me down the canal path - tarmac and about 4 foot wide - and the one in front decided to show off by pulling a wheelie
As I didn't do what he expected and swerve off onto the muddy grass he ended up nearly falling off and called be a 'f****** t***"

His mates passed me laughing and the one at the back commented "sorry about that - he has always been a bit of a ****"

Part of me was kinda hoping he would end up in the canal!

Top Bottom