canals, walkers and bell tinklers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I have only once in recent months had a hostile reaction to an "excuse me": this was a few days ago on a bridle path, not a towpath. And I was having a 'bad day' anyway :biggrin: (posted elsewhere). Although cyclists are allowed to use them, there are rules of priority: cyclists should give way to pedestrians and horseriders. But an "excuse me" usually works fine. I don't like bells because they're a bit impersonal, to me they're the cycling equivalent of a motorist impatiently honking his horn (something I loathe). That's my view.

LLB

simoncc said:
I don't mind walkers on towpaths. They have as much right to be there as I do, and if I'm on a towpath on my bike I'm not in a particular hurry anyway. Anglers who block the path with their rods, chairs, little tents and boxes of hooks and maggots annoy me though. When they have to move out of my way they quite often look miffed and sometimes mutter some comment. They seem to think very highly of themselves. They think they own the towpath in much the same way many horse riders think they own the roads and lanes, but at least horse riders do keep moving along and don't set up a little camp blocking the way for everyone else.

Horse riders are by far the most vulnerable users on the roads, They don't just have the quirks of the animal in their charge to consider, they also have to put up with ignorant and inconsiderate behaviour of (some) other road users. I think its only right that they should ride as defensively as possible when they use them for the protection of all.

Would you care to elaborate on this statement ?

Maz

Guru
No. What did I look like?
Mid-30s fella cycling with (presumably) his daughter. Both were immaculately hi-vizd, saw them a mile off.

Oh and he looked just like Noddy Holder.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Mid-30s fella cycling with (presumably) his daughter. Both were immaculately hi-vizd, saw them a mile off.

Oh and he looked just like Noddy Holder.

So, now we know what Maz's mental image of Mr Paul was like.

Got mental images of any other forummers Maz?:biggrin:

Arch said:
I never have much problem (on shared paths, not towpaths) with a cheery "'S'cuse me!", repeated if not heard the first time.

In my experience, canal towpaths are often narrow, and I certainly wouldn't expect friends walking along them to walk in single file...

Alternatively, get a bloody bell, and ping that. They come in all colours these days you know, and hardly weigh anything. Mine is shaped like a teapot.

Could you let me know where I can buy a teapot shaped bell, please, Arch?

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
So, now we know what Maz's mental image of Mr Paul was like.

Got mental images of any other forummers Maz?:biggrin:
Since you ask - domtyler: 5'8". Mid-30s. Slim build. Definitely dark hair. Clean shaven. Am I right, or am I right?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Lord of the Teapot said:
Could you let me know where I can buy a teapot shaped bell, please, Arch?

Well, I got mine as a present, brought back from a bike show in Germany. A quick google found similar (Mine is all black) here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Bell-Silver-Black-Bicycle/dp/B000U7BRX2

Not on amazon uk, as far as I can see.

There was a website with loads of different bells, I thought it was called "many bells" or something like that, but I can't find it again. I'll have another look...

Pete

linfordlunchbox said:
Horse riders are by far the most vulnerable users on the roads, They don't just have the quirks of the animal in their charge to consider, they also have to put up with ignorant and inconsiderate behaviour of (some) other road users. I think its only right that they should ride as defensively as possible when they use them for the protection of all.
What's more, they have a long way to fall when they do come off :biggrin:.

I pass many many horses - this is to do with the area I live in down in leafy Sussex. I am well aware of the stresses which many horses - and their riders - have to put up with. I am always nervous and extra-cautious when I see what I think is a young horse. I believe I am beginning to be able to recognise the signs of a young animal: (LLB) any tips welcome. Sometimes I ask the rider.

Maz

Guru
I occasionally have to overtake a horse and rider on my way to work.
What's best to do? Just give them a wide berth? Do you speak to the rider when you're still behind them to let them know you're about to overtake?

frog

'Hi!, may I come through please?'

Followed by: 'Thank You'

Has worked fine for over 30 years :smile:

Even with the little buggers who are throwing stones at a floating bottle trying to smash it.

Pete

Maz said:
What's best to do? Just give them a wide berth? Do you speak to the rider when you're still behind them to let them know you're about to overtake?
Yes. Best to speak in a fairly loud, decisive sort of voice, don't be shy. A simple "good morning" is all it takes. Remember the horse is listening, too, and most horses are trained to be reassured by the sound of a (friendly) human voice. LLB is probably better qualified to answer this than I am.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:

Yes, speak, gently, but audibly from a little way back (so don't suddenly holler from just behind them). That way, the rider knows to expect you, and the horse knows you're a human being (as opposed to a random predator). I'd generally say "hello, cyclist passing" in a cheery tone and then pass steadily and with a wide berth. Think how you'd like a car to over take you, then apply that to yourself basically. I don't think I'd wait for permission necessarily, unless I was leading a big group, but if a rider asked me to wait or hang back while they pulled over, I'd do so. If on the recumbent, I'd be extra cautious, since horses tend to be even less used to recumbents, which have a rather predatory shape, and often a flappy flag.

On the rare occasion I'm out on the road on a hack, I find my awareness is similar to being on the bike - by half-glancing back frequently, and listening, I'm well aware of cars and motorbikes, less so of cyclists.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
What's more, they have a long way to fall when they do come off :biggrin:.

I pass many many horses - this is to do with the area I live in down in leafy Sussex. I am well aware of the stresses which many horses - and their riders - have to put up with. I am always nervous and extra-cautious when I see what I think is a young horse. I believe I am beginning to be able to recognise the signs of a young animal: (LLB) any tips welcome. Sometimes I ask the rider.

yeah, good point, although I dunno that I could say what makes a horse look young, whereas I might hazard a guess.. Mind you, some riders will wear a vest saying "Young horse take care" or similar, which helps:biggrin:

And it's not just youth. You can sometimes tell a horses temperament (flighty, nervy, bombproof) by looking at it, although sometimes it depends on details like the ears and eyes that you might not be able to see from behind. Most of my experience is with riding school nags anyway, most of whom have that specially dejected sleepy look that only a horse or donkey can really acheive... Or maybe they only do that when they see me heading for them...:smile:

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the info. I asked that cos I think I'm right in thinking that some horses get spooked easily. cheers.

Top Bottom