CANCELLED: Late Late delayed Christmas Night Ride to Bognor 29/01/10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mistral

Guru
There is talk at another place of an illicit night time dash to the coast, Whitstable & Bognor are mentioned as possible, 18th Dec is favoured. Some folk from this parish have expressed an interest too.

Oh yes, most definitely not a FNRttC, as it's not CTC. So don't go expecting all the splendid service that's usually available.

However, seeing as a) there will be a big gap until the official series re-starts next year, and ;) generally around Christmas it's very mild, so following a suggestion from TimO about looking at doing a night ride some time, I've been floating the idea of doing a ride on 18th December for an elite group. I was initially thinking of getting a late train out from London and riding back to London, simply to be different, but no-one seems interested in that!

As there won't be a weather cat keeping an eye out on the skies, it could all be cancelled anyway, but my initial though was a trip out across to Bognor (seeing as we don't go out that way very often).

Anyone else?

mike e

A ride from London to Hull is surprisingly do-able, and whilst Hull is not strictly speaking on the coast, it is near some water...:biggrin: I will even meet up with you all for the last few miles...:biggrin:

mike e

1) Fit compass to bike
2) Follow to the north
3) Stop when you hear people saying "eee by gum"

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Alternatively some sort of southern based ride might work better...:biggrin:

BigSteev

mike e said:
1) Fit compass to bike
2) Follow to the north

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seems similar to my usual directions for heading that way except I normally replace 3) with once the weather turns nasty.

Andrij

Über Member
mike e said:
1) Fit compass to bike
2) Follow to the north

yorkshireebay.jpg

As Tim hasn't objected, I've decided we'll be going south by south-west to Bognor, rather than north - sorry Mike.

The route is here. 73.5 miles with about 2,800 feet of climbing (and descending). However the steepest bit is on the Portnalls Road, Chipstead after 15 miles. Anyone who's done the Brighton FNRttC route will know this well!

We'll take in some nice views of the other end of Gatwick Airport so you'll have to remember to duck if there's an easterly wind and they're using the 08 runway for landings, and the half way stop will be at Pease Pottage services, with breakfast at the Lobster Pot Cafe on the sea front at Felpham, unless we get there really early, in which case the Station Cafe opens just after 7.

OP
OP
mistral

mistral

Guru
Following the genteel ride to Brighton a few of us ended up here for lunch - http://www.noahsarkinn.co.uk/ in Lurgashall - only 20 odd miles from Bognor. It may be an option for a mid morning coffee for those willing to attempt the ride back?

And Haslemere is only a short hop here for trains to the smoke.

So far, it's the hardy crew shown above!

This ride will only be going ahead if there's no ice or heavy rain, but realistically I'm not expecting many more. Pace-wise it will therefore be very slightly faster than the normal FNRttC on the road which generally have a moving average of around 13 mph, so I'm expecting this to average 14-15 mph max. That's simply on the basis a smaller group will be rolling better and not getting stretched out, and slowing down to allow for lights and catching-up.

However normal service standards apply ie no-one left behind and there'll be regular stops as required.

Christmas outfits are optional but will add to the enjoyment.

Top Bottom