CANCELLED: Late Late delayed Christmas Night Ride to Bognor 29/01/10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mistral

mistral

Guru
Sorry, but I'm uncertain about this one too

I had a couple of falls, on what looked like relatively dry un-icy roads over the Christmas period.

Unless I can be persuaded otherwise, I'm now thinking of joining the January Warty

I am in two minds, but my sensible hat is currently being worn.

CANCELLED

Right - Executive decision time!

It looks like it could get down to -4 out in the sticks, and as there will be a lot of water on the roads south west from Horsham on the stretch before Amberley (as it just drains off the fields), it's just not worth the risk, so I'm pulling the plug on this, so I won't be at HPC at midnight.

I guess this just shows you can't go organising night time rides without the weather calming influence of dellzeq's cat.

TimO

Guru
mistral said:
Sad but wise, I'm joining the Warty out in deepest Essex

Bugger, since that takes the numbers down to about three of us, I guess that's it, it's only a Not-The-FNRttC if there is a group of nutters. With a small group, you're no longer eccentric, you're just mad. <wibble>

Where's the WARTY thread, aha over there. We haven't had a really good cold cycle this year, so far, last years January WARTY was a little nippy, and some people had to wear hats and whatnot, and complained of the cold. ... but there was a frozen Heffalump.

:sad:

Bognor itself will be fine, it's the bit in between that would be the problem! Here in Luton, we've had some snow and it's -2 out there.

Coming home last night through the countryside, the sides of the minor roads were all wet with the run-off from the fields, so cancelling was the sensible thing to do.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was a beautifully clear night with a bright moon but the consequence would have been treacherous ice. The puddles were icing up here as I staggered home from the boozer last night down here.

Flying Dodo said:
Bognor itself will be fine, it's the bit in between that would be the problem! Here in Luton, we've had some snow and it's -2 out there.

Coming home last night through the countryside, the sides of the minor roads were all wet with the run-off from the fields, so cancelling was the sensible thing to do.

You're right Adam. It was definitely a "No can do,do" :ohmy:

mangaman

Aperitif said:
It's nice weather outside - flippin' nuisance.
Do not tell me it is beautiful in Bognor mangaman!!!xx(

OK - it was bloody freezing last night even in Bognor.

Lots of frost on cars this am - normally we're spared that on the coast, it would have been very treacherous on the Downs.

How's that Apeitif xx(

clivedb

Guru
Disappointing, Adam, but it was definitely the right call. We went out today into the lanes of Bucks and Northants and despite the sun at midday there were plenty of treacherous icy patches, some classic black ice. They were caused exactly how you described - run off from ditches and fields that had then frozen. Required a careful eye in daylight, so at night.... Indeed, Marilyn had a minor fall on one patch - luckily just bruising and best of all, no damage to her Fratello.

Top Bottom