CANCELLED: Late Late delayed Christmas Night Ride to Bognor 29/01/10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's looking cold. But still with a northerly wind, so that should be mainly behind us. Below freezing, so I guess I may put on a long sleeved jersey. Not expecting any precipitation of any kind, so there shouldn't be any ice.

Roll call:-

Me
User10571 (only if we get a heatwave)
Adrian
TimO
Clive
Hillclimber
Jasper the surreal cyclist
MacB?
Mistral
Aperitif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Adam, I'm almost certainly out for this, I was going to bring the Surly but the rear hub gear wheel won't be back in time. I'm awaiting my new Sputnik wheelset from Spa for the Giant, 36 hole rims. I just can't bring myself to do another night ride on a skinny wheelset with 23mm tyres and a low spoke count, especially with all the new potholes around.

That just leaves the Dawes 3 speed, with a lowest gear of 50 inches, not going to try that.

If the Spa wheelset arrives in time then I'll turn up, but think it unlikely....cheers....Al

Origamist

Legendary Member
MacB - I've got a 30 speed tourer you could borrow if you want? It's shod with 28mm tyres and has a low gear of 30/27. Let me know if you fancy it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB - The Doris has just vetoed this for me, so if you want to try out a Rohloff, you can have my Thorn Sport Tour for the weekend. 26inch wheels, 35mm tyres (I think), flat bar, Brooks Swift Ti saddle and a low that hovers something below a gear inch. You'd have to swap out the SPDs for those planks you use as pedals, but otherwise it'd probably suit you.

Logistics might be tricky on Thursday but there's potential to pick up from B'stoke. Friday would be easier if you're willing to get to Winchester anytime from Lunch onwards. PM if you're interested.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
Shame on you, Bollo - "Tommy Topping" me with a Rohloff equipped Thorn and 35mm tyres.;)

'Tommy Topping' sounds unpleasantly euphemistic.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
O&B, thanks for the kind offers but I don't fancy a night ride on an unfamiliar bike, also don't want the responsibility of care:biggrin: I'm getting old, I like my own bed, my own clothes and my own kit.

TimO

Guru
Well, I'm still hoping to do this, unlike you bunch of Quiche Eaters, who've decided to bow out for the luxury of your beds. :thumbsup:

I've got a bit of a Stye in one eye, which I've been keeping an eye on (in a manner of speaking!) for the last couple of days. It's no worse, but it's no better either. I took a day off of commuting yesterday to see if it would help, but I'm back on the bike today, and this will be a bit of a test to see what it's like to cycle with.

Worst case scenario I'll meet you all at HPC, and abandon somewhere broadly West of Croydon, so that I can easily get home, but I'm determined to at least try!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB said:
O&B, thanks for the kind offers but I don't fancy a night ride on an unfamiliar bike, also don't want the responsibility of care:biggrin: I'm getting old, I like my own bed, my own clothes and my own kit.

<Silky smooth sound of a Rohloff flouncing off....:thumbsup:>

No problem MacB - offer's still open anytime if you want an extended test ride for a weekend. I'm not particularly precious about my commuter as it lives a fairly tough life anyway.

TimO

Guru
MacB said:
O&B, thanks for the kind offers but I don't fancy a night ride on an unfamiliar bike ...

I dunno, what sort of an excuse is this? Andy Gates did the FNRttC on an unfamiliar recumbent, in the rain, last year, and I'm sure various other people have borrowed bikes. No get up and go, that's the problem today ... ;)

Top Bottom