CANCELLED: Late Late delayed Christmas Night Ride to Bognor 29/01/10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
TimO said:
I dunno, what sort of an excuse is this? Andy Gates did the FNRttC on an unfamiliar recumbent, in the rain, last year, and I'm sure various other people have borrowed bikes. No get up and go, that's the problem today ... :smile:

It is a rubbish excuse :bravo:

I did the Dunwich Dynamo on my new bike which I had picked up the same day... ok I couldn't walk properly the next day, but I did it ;):bravo:

TimO

Guru
redjedi said:
I did the Dunwich Dynamo on my new bike which I had picked up the same day... ok I couldn't walk properly the next day, but I did it ;):smile:

Seems reasonable, you don't need to be able to walk, that's what the bikes for. :bravo:

Sounds nasty - your stye Tim.
When I was a 'boy' and got one, my Mum would wrap a wooden spoon in cotton wool and then boil a kettle of water, fill a pyrex jug. I had to dip the cotton-covered spoon in hot water and apply to the spot in question.

There. I've ladle before you. Hope it improves.;)

TimO

Guru
Unfortunately, unlike the one previous occasion when I've had a Stye, this one is internal, ie on the underside of the eyelid, where you can't see it, so I can't really apply anything to it. It still manages to annoy the eye, but it seemed marginally easier coming in today than it was on the two previous commutes, so I think it's getting better.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TimO said:
Unfortunately, unlike the one previous occasion when I've had a Stye, this one is internal, ie on the underside of the eyelid, where you can't see it, so I can't really apply anything to it. It still manages to annoy the eye, but it seemed marginally easier coming in today than it was on the two previous commutes, so I think it's getting better.

Have you got any tyre tracks down your front?
My mum told me I only got styes when I was run down:wacko:

hillclimber

Hi Adam, Sorry, I'm going to be a whimp and pull out. Rain is now forecast for tomorrow afternoon and at -3 deg, feeling like-9 or whatever it drops to in the evening, that sounds like ice.
I think a sprint to the coast might be needed to stop your blood from freezing, so my lack of fittness, will not be needed to hold you up. I hope those who are brave enough, enjoy the ride.

clivedb

Guru
Sorry, Adam, I'm going to be a no show too. Decided that starting the cycling year with hypothermia was not an attractive option. Pathetic I know, but am doing a daytime ride on Saturday instead. Anyhow I look forward to seeing you all on a ride soon. Good luck!
Clive

Can't understand all the fuss, it's only -12C by Midnight - at the oasis of Hyde Park.

Here's the pattern on my new winter pants:

:birthday::cold::biggrin::cold::smile::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold::ohmy::cold:

AdrianC said:
Right, I don't want to bottle this one just yet but if the weather remains wet all day and is going to be followed by sub zero temperatures overnight I probably will. I'll make a decision when I get home from work.

I haven't had an off on ice since New Years Day, when I had two, and I don't fancy another in a hurry.

Wise words Adrian, and, as I am the jumbo size version of you - I don't want to get up close and personal with tarmacAdam :birthday:

TimO

Guru
Looking at the weather, I'd say that the light rain we have currently in London will go fairly soon, and probably be followed by sunshine (albeit a bit chilly) for the remainder of the day. How much this will dry the roads remains to be seen.

I don't know what Adam's attitude will be, and he knows the route, but I would suggest that avoiding any minor roads which are likely to have been significantly wet will be a good idea, since they'll tend towards a risk of iceyness.

Ice was always going to be an issue if the temperatures dropped below zero, you rarely get freezing temperatures with completely dry roads in this country.

I'm having to make all my decisions on what to take and wear now, since I'll leave directly from work, but I don't think I'm going to bother to fit the studded tyres.

I don't know where Aperitif found a figure of -12°C for Hyde Park. It may get to -2°C, but I think -12°C would possibly be record breaking!

"Feels like" Tim.."Feels like". I'm only reading Metcheck but I take the point that it is nice and warm really...just that naughty wind stirring things up!:biggrin:

Changed to -3C "feels like" -9C now. Temperature has gone up since 03:00 this morning.:birthday:

clivedb

Guru
Aperitif said:
Changed to -3C "feels like" -9C now. Temperature has gone up since 03:00 this morning.:birthday:
Are cyclists the opposite of farmers when it comes to the weather? Always finding indicators of improving weather whereas farmers are pessimistic.

TimO

Guru
"Feels like" is going to be based on things like humidity and wind speed. Since we bring our own wind chill anyway, temperatures always "feel" colder than the base number suggests.

Of course, the exercise will have the opposite effect to the wind, so we really need our own version of "feels like".

Clearly a mere -2°C will "feel like" it's sub-tropical tonight. :birthday:

Top Bottom