Candidates - **** bike stuff marketing selling lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like many I guess on here I am signed up to email lists from various folk for "offers"/promotions etc.

They seem to be getting ever more desperate to shift stuff as they perhaps fear that folk are beginning to get the idea that cycling is wonderful because it's so simple.

I rarely buy stuff from chain reaction these days as they have shifted their market, but I've just had a mail trying to persuade me that I need, FFS,

summer tyres

"Choosing the best summer bike tyres for you is key to getting the most out of your time on two wheels"

Doubtless to be followed, after scores more mails, by telling me to discard them and buy some autumn tyres.

More examples?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Unsubscribe.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I would but they sent me a voucher the other day to tempt me back, so unresponsive have I been to months of puffery.

So I will search through their site for the remaining sensible stuff - before it's discontinued.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I've always felt that I need someone else to buy all the guff on offer, even better if it's full price to allow me and the Ccers following the found a bargain thread to well er, find the bargains.
:smile: Agree to an extent. I always TOTALLY ignore anything that screams new, latest, just out, this season. For next next season, just a matter of weeks away it will be slashed in price. Trouble is though that this stress on fashion, and online retailers' desire for bigger margins means they are increasingly dropping the more down to earth stuff altogether.

Maybe i'll check out the summer tyres to buy in autumn :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

In what way have they shifted their market?
Have they perchance been bought by an Doodle company, there is a subtle difference in the marketplace of the UK & our coloquial cousins across the pond, they do seem to like to be sold to, whereas we British like to buy. Noticed this 20 years ago when working for a sales company that got bought out by a big US company. They arrived with all their great ideas which flopped, we tried to tell them but they knew better, it all changed within 6 months.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
In what way have they shifted their market?

I've read similar views elsewhere, but I'm curious to know how they've changed.
More interested in selling to the mamil crowd. For the widest range of sensible bits for my maintenance and builds i now far more often go to sensible rose of germany or our own spa. Or ebay for some often excellent near as dammit new used stuff.
Some of the "advice" on chain reaction can also be shocking, telling you that certain bits won't work with other bits because they aren't part of the same series of marketing shoot, when they will actually work perfectly well.

Chain reaction partner wiggle also at it if course, urging me to "upgrade" my drivechain (why when it works fine and dandy and I'd rather ride it than struggle with more compatibility charts?) or advocating a "wardrobe makeover".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I can imagine a marketing man thinking mamils would spend bigger and more often than ordinary Joe - cycling being the new golf.
Yes, that's it.
Ditto ribble. Not !ong ago you could get touring racks etc from them. Am also still on their list. Doubtless an inanity i can post on here will turn up soon.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
You do know that the rubber in summer tyres goes brittle as the temperatures fall, and even if stored in a warm and dry atmosphere will deteriorate badly in six months? Maybe.
Ah yes - coming soon, to relieve busy folks of watching the seasons for their mollycoddled tyres, tyres on a subscription plan.
Tho tis odd that folks zapping around in cars at close to 100mph don't fit new tyres once they've scoffed all the easter eggs.

Top Bottom