Cannondale BB30 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
This may be a stupid question - but are you sure you don't have a BB30A crank on a BB30 frame? BB30A is 5mm wider on the non-drive side.

When I bought the bike it was virtually brand new, only having done 100 miles. AFAIK the BB has never been apart...

D

Deleted member 1258

Best Square Taper is Shimano UN-54. They don't come any better than that. Square taper and outboard bearings are the exact opposite of each other. Square taper has inboard bearings, Hollowtech has outboard bearings. The latter is an OK option.

Is the UN54 still available? My Pearson came with an ISIS BB, when I realised I would be changing the BB every 11- 12 months I brought a new chainset and fitted a UN54 BB and several years later I sold the bike and the BB was as good as when I fitted it.

When I bought the bike it was virtually brand new, only having done 100 miles. AFAIK the BB has never been apart...
Measure the axle length and we'll find out. Don't assume a new bike has the right components. Often mechanics swap parts from new bikes for various reasons. Also, the crank could have been swapped out early on in the bike's life for a problem we can't envisage from a distance.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My Pressfit BB30 seems to be tickety boo ! 6000 miles and quiet as a mouse. Was tempted to replace my cranks for something fancy . However it would nessitate a BB change as it was campag fit cranks I had an eye on ! Anyway as said earlier in this thread a converter is all you need and the tools mentioned at the start of this thread

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well, I'm not sure if it is my BB after all this!

There's no sound or vibration from it at all when I spin the cranks sans chain; also there's a loud clicking when coasting which doesn't go away when I pedal. I'm wondering if it's some kind of rear hub/freehub/wheel bearing issue...

I put the NDS crank back on with the motley selection of washers etc and it does seem to keep pressure on the bearing like it's supposed to. I dunno; surely it's not meant to look like that (see original post)? Exposed ally of the BB axle and wavy washer?

IMAG19051_zpsajppm9za.jpg

Does anyone else have a Synapse with this BB/crank combination? I need to see another one to compare.

Thanks, Andy

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This is mine, looks like it needs a clean.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I was just thinking last night of a way to describe the noise.

If I say it sounds like Windy Miller's windmill from Camberwick Green, I'm sure at least some of you will understand! :blush:

Anyway, the noise changes when I pedal but it's still there when coasting, so I doubt it's the BB. I'm just contemplating to what extent the rear hub is rebuildable...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My cousin came down from Scotland to ride the Tour de Yorkshire sportive. I noticed that his bike has a BB30 bottom bracket so I asked him if he had ever had the BB30 problem. Nope, never even heard that there is a general problem with them. He had ridden thousands of miles without a sound from the BB.

50 miles into the sportive, the classic creaking started! :whistle: :laugh:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
My cousin came down from Scotland to ride the Tour de Yorkshire sportive. I noticed that his bike has a BB30 bottom bracket so I asked him if he had ever had the BB30 problem. Nope, never even heard that there is a general problem with them. He had ridden thousands of miles without a sound from the BB.

50 miles into the sportive, the classic creaking started! :whistle: :laugh:

:rolleyes:

I'd be near the finish by 50 miles so it wouldn't be so bad for me... :bicycle:

doog

Just looking at your first post...that wavy washer looks normal. I appreciate someone says it isnt but thats how mine looks on my CAAD10 and Supersix..

That aside, I eventually got BB noises on the CAAD 10 after I dunno..6000 miles...4 years. One of the bearings was shot..replaced both, used bearing compound and greased the outer face of the bearing...chucked loads of grease in....200 miles later the creaking from hell started so stripped and regreased etc only to find it was the rear wheel quick release not tightened fully as I'd chucked some Zondas on...typical

The supersix creaked after 500 miles, however it was an ex showroom model..im not sure standing around unused for a couple of years helped the BB...anyway regreased and all good for now

Ive thought of going down the converter route but bearings are a couple of quid each on fleabay....although I'd love to fit a hollowtech have heard that the converters can creak as well.....

Top Bottom