Cannondale BB30 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
take the nds crank off, and just check if the circlips have been installed in the shell.
I think you have just very unlucky for something like that to happen.
How rough does the actual bearing feel?
Press fit bb are very simple... but they do not tolerate water ingress at all well. Water getting in from the downtube for example and simply left to do its worst over months.
The only luck involved is the designer's luck that most people don't know what they're looking at.
How rough? So rough that if you remove the chain and spin the cranks, you think someone started a small lawnmower.
Yes, press-fit is simple to install but problematic, as discussed above. Further, removing a press-fit destroys the plastic cup unless you are very lucky. Unlike a screw-which can be removed routinely for a clean and re-grease.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I can confirm it's a rubbish design, now I've pulled the NDS apart.

IMAG1902_zpscpdtlstp.jpg

Bearing is recessed about 2mm (no idea if this is correct; there's nothing securing it at that depth). There's a spacer, a wavy split washer, a rubber seal and the 'bearing shield.'

IMAG1900_zpsdjngqp6s.jpg

What's the point of a spring washer if there's nothing to retain it? What's supposed to hold all that stuff in? How do I know if the bearing is actually seated against the circlip?

And why isn't the BB noisy unless it's under load?

I can confirm it's a rubbish design, now I've pulled the NDS apart.

Bearing is recessed about 2mm (no idea if this is correct; there's nothing securing it at that depth). There's a spacer, a wavy split washer, a rubber seal and the 'bearing shield.'

What's the point of a spring washer if there's nothing to retain it? What's supposed to hold all that stuff in? How do I know if the bearing is actually seated against the circlip?

And why isn't the BB noisy unless it's under load?

The bearing depth is about right. Its inner depth is limited by a spring clip in a recess in that aluminium sleeve.

The wavy washer simply pre-loads the bearing and crank a little so that any end-fload doesn't go clunk-cluck as space is taken up from left to right.

Don't call that rubber ring a seal. That's an insult to proper bearing seals.

The stuff stays in by itself. It actually does.

The BB is noisy. remove the chain, place the bike in a stand and put your ear somewhere on the top tube. After figuring out that your teeth are far away from the pedals, spin the crank and listen. The bearing will talk to you and tell you to either rrrrrrrrrreplace it or shhhhhhhhhhht, leave me alone. The rumble is accentuated under load. It will only show up in finger-rotation of the spindle if it is really stuffed.

The BB is noisy. remove the chain, place the bike in a stand and put your ear somewhere on the top tube. After figuring out that your teeth are far away from the pedals, spin the crank and listen. The bearing will talk to you and tell you to either rrrrrrrrrreplace it or shhhhhhhhhhht, leave me alone. The rumble is accentuated under load. It will only show up in finger-rotation of the spindle if it is really stuffed.

:laugh:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
No, the bearing didn't migrate, just everything outboard of the bearing on the NDS. The spacer, spring washer and grey rubber washer all moved into the gap between the shell and the crank arm...

That's why I was wondering what stopped it doing that!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Now I come to think of it: what stops axial float of the BB axle, if it just pushes through the bearings? Or is it 'stepped,' so it has to be inserted into one bearing in the shell, then the other bearing is put in afterwards to secure it?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I just don't understand what's supposed to hold the bearing in, and what the spring washer pushes against...

I just don't understand what's supposed to hold the bearing in, and what the spring washer pushes against...
The axle is not stepped IIRC. It certainly has a very specific seat area for the bearing. The bearing is supposed to stay in with a bit of slip-fit force only. The wavy washer pushes against the left crank on the outboard ide and on the bearing the other side, taking care of axial float. On the right hand side, the bearing is in direct contact via washers and seal, with the crank.
@Globalti posted a nice photo here and may have some comment to make:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/crank-clicking.187733/post-3916859

BB30.jpg

I think your frame's BB shell is messed up. Time for glue or a Hollowtech insert for a Shimano crank.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The axle is not stepped IIRC. It certainly has a very specific seat area for the bearing. The bearing is supposed to stay in with a bit of slip-fit force only. The wavy washer pushes against the left crank on the outboard ide and on the bearing the other side, taking care of axial float. On the right hand side, the bearing is in direct contact via washers and seal, with the crank.
@Globalti posted a nice photo here and may have some comment to make:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/crank-clicking.187733/post-3916859

View attachment 126131

I think your frame's BB shell is messed up. Time for glue or a Hollowtech insert for a Shimano crank.
For the spacer, wavy washer and rubber washer to migrate into the gap twixt crank and shell, surely the axle must be too long, or there's some spacer missing on the drive side! What locates the spindle axially on the drive side, one wonders?

Pics are useful but generic as I assume all applications differ slightly. Further investigation required I think...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The bearing should be a nice and tight fit and is secured on the inside by a circlip. Take a look at around the 8 minute mark to see how tight it is, you certainly need a bearing press or similar to get it installed..

For the spacer, wavy washer and rubber washer to migrate into the gap twixt crank and shell, surely the axle must be too long, or there's some spacer missing on the drive side! What locates the spindle axially on the drive side, one wonders?

Pics are useful but generic as I assume all applications differ slightly. Further investigation required I think...
It is easy to see if the axle is too long (actually, wrong number of spacers). Simply look and see if the wavy washer has some preload or not.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It is easy to see if the axle is too long (actually, wrong number of spacers). Simply look and see if the wavy washer has some preload or not.

Well, it was rattling about in the gap, so... No preload. (Pls see original picture!)

I guess I need to find some spacers with a
30mm ID...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This may be a stupid question - but are you sure you don't have a BB30A crank on a BB30 frame? BB30A is 5mm wider on the non-drive side.

Top Bottom