Cannondale owners, seat post upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello, any cannondale riders out there?

The synapse carbon frame seems to come with the aluminium seat post. Anyone swap it out for carbon? Or not worth it?

Appreciate any views.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I fell for that trap about 10 years ago, the only difference was to my wallet. The Synapse has a 25.4mm seatpost which is not common, so it could be an expensive experiment.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I fell for that trap about 10 years ago, the only difference was to my wallet. The Synapse has a 25.4mm seatpost which is not common, so it could be an expensive experiment.

Can get the cannondale carbon equivalent for about £40-£50.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Correct. What would you have been expecting of a carbon post that isn't already provided by an aluminium one?
Ah, but you're forgetting the legendary comfort provided by a carbon seatpost. It must be true because the teenage scribblers who write for the bike mags say so, having read it on the blurb provided by the carbon seatpost manufacturers.

So there!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well having mountain biked on a variety of hardtails for 21 years I can tell you that I'm sure there's a difference. You notice it most when the back wheel bottoms out in a biggish dip and you can feel a carbon post flex under your weight. Alloy posts OTOH feel more rigid, especially if they have a reinforcing rib through the centre line. I had one on a rigid Trek that was an American brand (the logo was a stars and stripes IIRC) and that one even bent over time. I think the maker is defunct now.

I test-rode a Synapse in May at the Olympic road circuit and was disappointed; sure the handling was excellent but the bike felt sluggish and a little soft, which I think was down to the 25 mm tyres more than anything else. May also have been due to the fact that I had just jumped off a Venge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Which are?

Light, comfortable. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, just curious for views.

S-Express

Light, comfortable. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, just curious for views.

Using your analogy though, I have aluminium bikes which also fit that description. 'Light' and 'comfortable' are not exclusive to carbon. If you are looking for comfort improvements, I would look towards tyre and pressure choice

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Using your analogy though, I have aluminium bikes which also fit that description. 'Light' and 'comfortable' are not exclusive to carbon. If you are looking for comfort improvements, I would look towards tyre and pressure choice

Yes I am aware that the properties are not exclusive to carbon. I guess I am just curious if any Cannondale owners changed from an aluminium post to carbon and their thoughts on the experience.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Light is certainly true of Alu, but not sure comfort is. Alu frames gives the harshest ride out of steel Ti Alu and carbon. Why all the carbon forks on Alu bikes?
So I think OPs question is valid, although one I cant answer, mine are either steel or carbon, no Alu posts.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Light is certainly true of Alu, but not sure comfort is. Alu frames gives the harshest ride out of steel Ti Alu and carbon. Why all the carbon forks on Alu bikes?
So I think OPs question is valid, although one I cant answer, mine are either steel or carbon, no Alu posts.

I've never found a difference, having ridden all but Ti. The only things that have made a difference in feel from one bike to the next are tyres and tubes and frame geometry.

Top Bottom