Cannondale Synapse - help me justify/dissuade? Or would a Boardman Comp do me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hi ,

I want to trade my Badboy 700 for a proper road bike. Was going to go for something like a Boardman Comp or something in this price range, but then I sat on one of these:

http://www.ride-bikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b93s6p2365

It was glorious. It felt soo right. I love the ride of my Bad Boy, and I can only image that the Synapse would be better with its light weight.I also loved its semi-compact geometery, something that I found lacking on the Trek and Willier I sat on.

Can i justify this though? Most of my cycling is commuting, with me and friend doing the odd bit or weekend cycling. I've also signed up to do the Etape Caledonia, so i guess I have proper roadie intentions that cannot be fullfilled by a Bad Boy.

But, can I really justify this cost, particularlty as I cant really afford it. Well, I can, but only just. I'll have to eat porridge for 6 months.

So... thoughts?

MajorMantra

If you buy something else you may spend half your time wishing you'd gritted your teeth and ponied up for the Synapse. You only live once...

That said, don't bankrupt yourself! It's one thing eat porridge for 6 months but maxing out credit cards isn't worth it for something like this.

Matthew

Buy the synapse. There, I've made the choice you really wanted from the forum for you.:angry: Boardmans seem to be well liked but as MajorMantra says you may regret it in a few months you wouldn't want to be sitting on a Boardman forever wondering about it.
I agonise over those type of decisions too. Recently bought daughter a specialized Ariel after nearly getting her a Bianchi Citta. She looked very good on the Bianchi and with racks/mudguards was ideal for school BUT after going away and thinking about it bought the Ariel as it was going to be more versatile.

Googling I make the price difference £291

Let us know what you decide.

Then post a picture of the Synapse in the photo section :blush:

interesting idea :sad: for a thread that I have thought about a couple of times.

i have thought long and hard about (convincing myself) to buy the dream machine and have toyed with cheaper alternatives that maybe closer to my level. I only ride for fun and mostly do about 45 - 60 miles a week non commute so the opposite to you but I have saved hard for a couple of months and now I am going to buy the best I can get. Yes the money could be better spent elsewhere and my wife is not best pleased that I am going spend a fair bit of cash on a bike but none the less I am going to buy 1 of 2 bikes i have fallen in love with. Ian on this forum said to me that if you have got your mind set on a bike that you would love to buy then go buy it. You will always regret it in the long term. So my choice is a Spesh Tarmac Elite or a Orbea Onix Ultegra :biggrin:.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do but my advice is if you can buy what your heart is telling you.

yello

I'm the wrong person to talk you out of a Synapse. I don't own one but I would if I didn't already have a race bike. I'd have a different spec but I reckon for the price they're an excellent bike.

bad boy

Über Member
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
Hi ,

I want to trade my Badboy 700 for a proper road bike. Was going to go for something like a Boardman Comp or something in this price range, but then I sat on one of these:

http://www.ride-bikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b93s6p2365

It was glorious. It felt soo right. I love the ride of my Bad Boy, and I can only image that the Synapse would be better with its light weight.I also loved its semi-compact geometery, something that I found lacking on the Trek and Willier I sat on.

Can i justify this though? Most of my cycling is commuting, with me and friend doing the odd bit or weekend cycling. I've also signed up to do the Etape Caledonia, so i guess I have proper roadie intentions that cannot be fullfilled by a Bad Boy.

But, can I really justify this cost, particularlty as I cant really afford it. Well, I can, but only just. I'll have to eat porridge for 6 months.

So... thoughts?

Hi, B-B

Ive got to be honest I am in a similar situation, I love my Bad Boy 700, but like you would also like to do more sportive, club runs etc next year.

I have also been going round in circles deciding on what bike to get as anything I do get would have to double up as a commuter if need be although I have no plans to get rid of the bad boy, ultimately it would be replaced with the new bike as the commuter in due course.

I think the one that ticks all these boxes for me is the spez secteur elite take a look see what you think

bad boy

Über Member
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
I'll have a look at the Spez - i cant afford Carbon though, and i really cant go for a bike with those horrible Sora shifters. Euuurrrghhhh.

well the elite is 105 with Tektro brakes, its alu with carbon forks think its 999 in the shops but the sport is just under 700 with Tiagra I think and same frame.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

bad boy said:
well the elite is 105 with Tektro brakes, its alu with carbon forks think its 999 in the shops but the sport is just under 700 with Tiagra I think and same frame.

Will, I'll look out for that defo.

I should test ride this Synapse shouldnt I? Do you reckon they'll be a few in the sales this year? It seems like that sale bikes are a bit scarce at the moment.

Seamab

I've had a carbon synapse compact for a couple of years and think it is a great bike. I bought it when i was just getting into cycling and "sportive" bikes were less common than now - i like the more relaxed geometry compared to a full on race bike.

Prior to that i had ridden a friends' CAAD5 aluminium bike that he used as a winter bike and was surprised by how good the ride quality was.

I think Cannondale make excellent quality frames and i'm sure the Tiagra alu synapse will be a great bike.

Garz

Squat Member
More gears for hillier climbing or if your not yet fit. Slight weight difference which many people may argue over for many posts.

So in short if your are either fit or dont climb harsh hills then a compact will be fine, else get the triple.

Top Bottom