Cannondale Warranty Claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxInc

Just wanted to get some opinions, being new to biking I'm not sure how normal this situation is when it comes to repairs under warranty and LBS's policies.

Long story short, brand new 2013 Cannondale Synapse 105 bought 3rd of May, developed creaking noise on the saddle end and brought back to LBS for investigation. Questionable service / maintenance since it didn't eliminate the creak despite assurances and tests by LBS.

The visit however revealed a small defect down the seat tube which badly scratched the seat post. LBS wrote on the receipt that a new seat post (Cannondale C3 Alloy 27.2 x 300mm) was ordered under warranty.

c4eq.jpg

So far so good, as long as it is taken care of, I can understand small defects can happen from time to time. Reading in the installation manual, the seat tube should have been inspected before seat post insertion and any small defects corrected with appropriate tools to avoid this very problem.

Back from holidays 2 weeks later, LBS let me know the saddle has been fixed and I can come and collect. It was only when I got home that I realise they replaced the seat post with a different, fairly generic model, unbranded, scratched and cut to size with a hacksaw. This is when I started to get angry because it was clearly not what I expected as a replacement under warranty.

ur6u.jpg

6i18.jpg

Staff at LBS was confused too so I got a call from the owner who insisted that was a genuine replacement under warranty from Cannondale and that it fixes the problem (creaking noise) and that's pretty much all they can do. Despite my protests, he wouldn't negotiate and kept his position.

I felt that I was being cheated since the situation has gotten worse from creaking to damaged seat post to unbranded scratched and cut to size seat post and this is for a brand new bike that I just paid a little over a grand. I wrote a harsher letter of complaint threatening that I will return the bike for a refund if the don't fix it properly with genuine parts according to original specifications. It might have worked since I received asking me to bring the bike to the shop so they can re-inspect the seat tube and install an original C3 seatpost that they managed to source from Cannondale.

Got the bike back to LBS today, I did see the wrapped package from Cannondale and the head mechanic also showed me the receipt that came with it. They looked friendly despite the tensions created by the letter, replaced the tube in no time and I was on my way back in less than 20 minutes. I though this was the end of it and it felt like a lot of trouble for a £25 seat post but glad it was over. Or was it?

At home I did take the seat post out to have a look and there were more surprises left for me. The original seat post was 300mm, the one installed was a 350mm but cut down to about 265mm with a hacksaw. My frustration is back ... I just don't get it why it is so difficult to get this thing right??!?

3dub.jpg

fltg.jpg

Safety wise, I'm not sure if this poses a threat, and neither aesthetically since half of it is inserted. Not sure it's impact on future warranty claims? What if the frame cracks and they refuse warranty based on using an improper seat post?

My instinct is to get it back to them and force them to honour the warranty. My relationship with them is damaged anyway and in honesty I would feel comfortable with them servicing my bike in the future neither.

Would you accept an inferior part as a replacement under warranty for a manufacturer's defect that shouldn't have been there in the first place? Is this LBS's fault for fitting it or Cannondale's for supplying it? Shall I get in touch directly with Cannondale? Or maybe take the wiser route and I just accept it and move on.

Thanks for reading and your advice!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The scratches your 1st seatpost had are not uncommon. These can be caused by debris getting in the seat tube at the point of assembly, or a little burr inside etc. I have had the same thing happen before, get some sand paper on your finger and rub around the seat tube. It is just one of them things.

As for the new post being cut down, it is fine to do this, so long as you insert as much post into the frame, as was marked as the minimum insertion. Eg. If the original length was 35cm and 5cm was below the minimum insertion, the max amount outside the frame is 30cm, if you cut it to say, 26cm, you need to maintain that 5cm minimum insertion so only 21cm can protrude from the frame, as far as seatpost integrity is concerned. Being that the post is made by Cannondale and supplied on one of their own frames, I think you could probably assume the min insertion amount on the post is also okay for the frame. If in doubt, just make sure there is enough post in the frame to go below the bottom weld on the top tube.

The point I would be questioning is, it has been cut down for what reason?

Sounds to me like a LBS issue, not an issue with Cannondale. But if in doubt, email Adrian over at Cannondale, he should get your sorted!

OP
OP
MaxInc

MaxInc

The point I would be questioning is, it has been cut down for what reason?
Sounds to me like a LBS issue, not an issue with Cannondale. But if in doubt, email Adrian over at Cannondale, he should get your sorted!

Thanks for your comments.

I'm am pretty sure it is safe to use since it get inserted about 1/2 way so it's more like 13cms or so, no issues there, also the bit the remains out is unscratched and matches the other component's design etc. More worried about future warranty claims and clearly frustrated with the LBS's attitude, the least they could have done was to keep me informed rather than having to discover and wonder about their actions.

I am not sure at this stage if the seat post was supplied cut by Cannondale or it was cut down to size by LBS. One reason could be that the original part was 300mm whereas the replacement was ordered / supplied in 350mm so it needed to be cut down (poor job nevertheless since they missed the target by a bit).

Could you possible PM the email for Adrian? Is he the representative for the UK? Thanks!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
He is warranty, sales and tech customer service, he has always been the person to liaise with me given any issue or question sent to a generic address and he has always been very helpful, so now I just email him direct. Sent you a PM with his email address.

goody

Veteran
Don't understand why they felt the need to cut the post down anyway.
Unless they're saving all the offcut bits of ali for the scrap value?

U

User6179

Don't understand why they felt the need to cut the post down anyway.
Unless they're saving all the offcut bits of ali for the scrap value?

Sometimes the seat post can hit the allen nut for the water cage on the down tube so you need to cut it or the seat will be to high

OP
OP
MaxInc

MaxInc

Sometimes the seat post can hit the allen nut for the water cage on the down tube so you need to cut it or the seat will be to high

I think you are right, there are about 310mm from the top of the seat tube to the fist water bottle nut so a 350mm post would not go all the way to the bottom. But considering the distance from the top nut to the bottom of the saddle, which is about 430mm as it was adjusted for my height, it shouldn't have been a problem. Unless it was supplied like that by Cannondale which I'm finding difficult to believe. I have asked both LBS and Cannondale for clarifications so hopefully I will get closure soon.

OP
OP
MaxInc

MaxInc

I asked the LBS to offer an explanation for the cut short seat post and if it was done in accordance with the warranty agreement. This is what they replied.

The seat post supplied by Cannondale was to long and it is perfectly acceptable to cut seat post if they go too far into the frame and this has become practice if there is an excess of seat post. It also means there is less chance of possible seat post seizure should routine servicing be neglected.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
So long as you have more than the minimum seat post inserted and the scratches arent visible when inserted then I wouldnt worry.

LBS had a cheek trying to fob you off with a generic replacement but now you have a genuine cannondale part I would just concentrate on enjoying the bike .

Re creaking, if it starts again try cleaning the post and tube and reinsert with clean grease. Cures the creaks on my Scott seat post everytime.

Top Bottom