Cannot seat into low gear when climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No, you should be able to tweak the indexing so the cage at that last click is ever so slightly aligned to the spoke side of the largest sprocket mid line. That should at the least minimise it. If this was a general thing for 1x to 'have to put up with' think of the angst that'd be evident. ETA: @DCBassman in post #2 has pointed you to the hanger and rear mech alignment issue.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
If it's a complete groupset then the rear mech is made to cover a 42 tooth sprocket so that should be one potential problem we can eliminate. Next to check is chain wear. Either use a chain wear tool or a 12 inch ruler, etc. Next to check is the hanger. Unless you have an alignment tool this is one for the LBS. If it's the hanger then you'll need to source a new one. Easy to replace but often hard to find. If the hanger is straight then the mech itself could be slightly bent. A visual check might pick up any problem. It's surprising how many are bent and even just a slight misalignment is enough to affect gear changing. Check the obvious first, which is the L screw. If you can push the mech back with your hand and see that the jockey wheels are in line with the largest sprocket without fouling the wheel then you can eliminate that as your cause.
Good luck 👍

Trickedem

Guru
I had continual problems with the SRAM 1x gears on my gravel bike. These were similar to your issues. I was recommended to look at the hanger adjustment. So I made a tool to do this and discovered it was badly aligned. A quick tweek and it has been great since. Very easy check for an LBS to make.

Trickedem

Guru

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thank you for sharing. I echo @C R 's caveat, which jumps out at you (well me) as soon as he starts drilling. This tool can only be as accurate as the accuracy (as in right angle) of the 'indicator arm' and the rear axle to the extendable main lengths. Inaccuracies in the metal section drilling is mitigated by the washer and locknut set up, which should pull the axle very close to perpendicular. Less so the plastic elements.

I use the remnants of a broken rear axle (its OD and thread pitch is the same as the threads in the aluminium hanger/steel frame's dropout used to fasten the rear mech) and a piece of tube slotted over that axle stub. With the frame exactly upright the tube needs to be horizontal (I use a spirit level to check that) and perpendicular to the plane of the frame - which I judge by eye (the latter is less important in any adverse effect on rear mech (mis) alignment). Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: C R

Trickedem

Guru
Thank you for sharing. I echo @C R 's caveat, which jumps out at you (well me) as soon as he starts drilling. This tool can only be as accurate as the accuracy (as in right angle) of the 'indicator arm' and the rear axle to the extendable main lengths. Inaccuracies in the metal section drilling is mitigated by the washer and locknut set up, which should pull the axle very close to perpendicular. Less so the plastic elements.

I use the remnants of a broken rear axle (its OD and thread pitch is the same as the threads in the aluminium hanger/steel frame's dropout used to fasten the rear mech) and a piece of tube slotted over that axle stub. With the frame exactly upright the tube needs to be horizontal (I use a spirit level to check that) and perpendicular to the plane of the frame - which I judge by eye (the latter is less important in any adverse effect on rear mech (mis) alignment). Hope that makes sense.
I'd agree, his method was rather sloppy and dangerous. This is what I built using a shelf bracket, because it is flat it avoids the issue and is at a perfect right angle.
IMG_20201216_161247.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd agree, his method was rather sloppy and dangerous. This is what I built using a shelf bracket, because it is flat it avoids the issue and is at a perfect right angle.
View attachment 563667
That's good!

I gave up on making a diy tool and bought one. Quite small adjustments on two steel frame bikes transformed gear changes from "will it, won't it " to "I don't even think about it anymore"

C R

Guru
That's good!

I gave up on making a diy tool and bought one. Quite small adjustments on two steel frame bikes transformed gear changes from "will it, won't it " to "I don't even think about it anymore"
I thought about making one, but then realised that if I wanted to make it right I would need to spend more in the tools required than I would be paying for a ready made one. I wish I had thought about the shelf bracket, that's a brilliant idea and I have a couple of lengths in the garage.

Top Bottom