Cannot seat into low gear when climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
well, I (and a helpful ride colleague) may have solved it and it revolves around adjusting the 'B' screw., I have already played with this but this time I had one of my ride colleagues observe as I climbed a steep gradient. It seemed the pivot wheel was not far enough from the large cogs. Odd as I test this on the bike stand.

Nice simple solution, anyhow!

cyclintom

Hi all,
this has defeated some of the finest minds today on our bike ride and is something I have wrestled with a good part of the year.
I have a Sram Rival 1 set up whereby my actual largest cog on the rear seems to be bigger than my chainring, anyway no matter how many times I reindex on the bike, on the stand, when I'm actually out on the road and have to go up a steep hill I have great difficulty selecting the lowest gear - it seems to jump out and in, so eventually i have to select a higher gear - which really is not desirable.
I'd appreciate any pointers?
Thanks
This is likely the limit screws on your rear derailleur being improperly set. Or the inner cable tension is improperly set so that you don't have enough pull to get it into the largest cog. This is why you need a "third hand" tool to properly tension these cables. (Though the newer 11 speed setups with good cable sets can usually be set tight enough by hand to use the rear derailleur adjustment screw.)

Occasionally if you are cross-chaining it is an improperly set front derailleur. I discovered that most of the braze-on bars and the braze-on adapters do not actually meet the spacing requirements of Shimano, While you have SRAM it is likely that they have the same spacing requirements. One way to discover this is to look at the limit screws on the front derailleur. If they are one in most of the way and the other out most of the way, you probably have this problem. If you are using a braze-on adapter the fix is easy - simply get a Shimano adapter. The limit screws set with that adapter should be pretty much equal and most of the front derailleur noise will also disappear.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is likely the limit screws on your rear derailleur being improperly set. Or the inner cable tension is improperly set so that you don't have enough pull to get it into the largest cog. This is why you need a "third hand" tool to properly tension these cables. (Though the newer 11 speed setups with good cable sets can usually be set tight enough by hand to use the rear derailleur adjustment screw.)

Occasionally if you are cross-chaining it is an improperly set front derailleur. I discovered that most of the braze-on bars and the braze-on adapters do not actually meet the spacing requirements of Shimano, While you have SRAM it is likely that they have the same spacing requirements. One way to discover this is to look at the limit screws on the front derailleur. If they are one in most of the way and the other out most of the way, you probably have this problem. If you are using a braze-on adapter the fix is easy - simply get a Shimano adapter. The limit screws set with that adapter should be pretty much equal and most of the front derailleur noise will also disappear.
Err it's a 1x set up.

Top Bottom