Cannot seat into low gear when climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
this has defeated some of the finest minds today on our bike ride and is something I have wrestled with a good part of the year.
I have a Sram Rival 1 set up whereby my actual largest cog on the rear seems to be bigger than my chainring, anyway no matter how many times I reindex on the bike, on the stand, when I'm actually out on the road and have to go up a steep hill I have great difficulty selecting the lowest gear - it seems to jump out and in, so eventually i have to select a higher gear - which really is not desirable.
I'd appreciate any pointers?
Thanks

If indexing won't fix it, likely something is bent, the mech hanger usually.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Size of chainring (just one)
Range of cassette please? ie 11-34
On the stand with the cable unclamped and 'L' limit screw unscrewed a turn, can you push the derailleur cage so it touches the spokes?

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
The cassette is a SRAM Rival 11-42T and the chainring is 40T. I have checked the L and H screws quite a few times. BUt of course, setting it up on a bike stand is not the same as using out on the road.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you can post some pictures from the side and front and back that’d help.

Lovacott

Über Member
My gears behave very slightly differently under load so after indexing at home, I take the bike for a spin with a few hills chucked in and make minor adjustments on the road. You should only be talking about a quarter of a turn of a limit screw and/or a barrel adjuster at the most.

Gunk

Guru
My gears behave very slightly differently under load so after indexing at home, I take the bike for a spin with a few hills chucked in and make minor adjustments on the road. You should only be talking about a quarter of a turn of a limit screw and/or a barrel adjuster at the most.

I set up first on a stand and then pop the bike on a Turbo to finish off the final indexing adjustments. You’ll be surprised with the difference riding under load makes, what feels perfect on a bike stand is completely different when ridden under load.

Top Bottom