Can't change brake pads because of worn screw...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hello

I tried to change the brake pads today, but the 'grub screw' is seized and the hex has become rounded.

Can anyone suggest how to remove it? Thanks.

2jtsmh.jpg

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
according to one lbs, the trick is to remove the grub screw straight after purchase (but don't do that on a fixed wheel bike).

unless you don't know one end of a brake block from the other, it isn't necessary.

ime you have to get new pad holders, but you might be able to drill the offending screw out.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Happened to me. I used a pair of grips to undo the screw. There is just enough protruding to get a grip.
Did you buy a replacement screw or did you leave it out?
If you bought one, where from? LBS?

Might give GerryAttrick's suggestion a go - sounds eminently practical.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Remove the wheel and use a pair of mole grips on the screw, or like mentioned above, cut a slot in the screw and use a screwdriver. Last resort, drill it out, but by doing this you will need to replace the whole thing after, not just the inserts!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Hm. Tried GerryA's method and thought I was on to a winner. Nice neat grooves with a hacksaw, tried to turn it with a flat-head screwdriver but it still won't budge.

Could I be able to get to it from the brake side? i.e. pull out the old brake pad then do something to the exposed screw thread?

if you leave it out, don,t use the brakes going backwards or the pad will slide out!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If cutting a slot didn't work, I would bite the bullet and buy some new pads and holders. It will be the usual problem of galvanic corrosion, i.e. steel screws in aluminium holders - anti-seize=so**ing unremovable screw. If you get new ones, use Coppaslip on the screw before you fit them to the bike. Keeps blood pressure low too. ;)

Zoiders

Just drill the head off with a HSS bit, it will take seconds, it shouldn't damage the whole cartridge holder at all if you are careful.

Remove the whole pad first of course and lock it in a work mate if you have one, although you can do it free hand on a table if you are good enough.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
If cutting a slot didn't work, I would bite the bullet and buy some new pads and holders. It will be the usual problem of galvanic corrosion, i.e. steel screws in aluminium holders - anti-seize=so**ing unremovable screw. If you get new ones, use Coppaslip on the screw before you fit them to the bike. Keeps blood pressure low too. ;)
I may have to go down that route and buy a new pair.
These look similar to ones I have already and look decent priced.
http://www.wiggle.co...d-brake-blocks/
Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Just drill the head off with a HSS bit, it will take seconds, it shouldn't damage the whole cartridge holder at all if you are careful.

Remove the whole pad first of course and lock it in a work mate if you have one, although you can do it free hand on a table if you are good enough.
Hi, What's an HSS bit?

Top Bottom