Can't change gear on cassette (won't go up or down)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
To the OP, I'd suggest getting a full set of gear cables, for both the front and rear, Lifeline ones from Wiggle are reasonably good and keenly priced. If you've got the rear shifting set up using brake outers then you probably have the front the same.

You won't need a new rear cable, but if you're replacing the front outers, then you may as well replace the inners too.

Reactions: Maz

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Maz - I have been quite content with the performance of my Drapertools Expert-190mm-Wire-Rope-or-Spring-Wire-Cutter (for about £15) [Cue discussion about how Draper tools are rubbish.]
Not from me - that looks a decent bit of kit and interestingly looks identical to the Ice Toolz ones SJS sell at the same price.

For what it's worth the cutters I have are Cyclo branded. They're alright but I've used better.

KneesUp

Guru
Gear outers are too tough for my rubbish cutters, but I have a local independent bike shop, so I just take the old outers to him and he cuts it all to length as part of the cost of the outer. I prefer that to buying a relatively expensive tool that I will probably lose before I've used it much.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Maz - I have been quite content with the performance of my Drapertools Expert-190mm-Wire-Rope-or-Spring-Wire-Cutter (for about £15) [Cue discussion about how Draper tools are rubbish.]
Thanks, I bought a pair of Cyclo cable cutters. They work well, but I don't know what this very sharp point thing is for.
upload_2017-7-24_12-7-44.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks, I bought a pair of Cyclo cable cutters. They work well, but I don't know what this very sharp point thing is for.
View attachment 363883
I had to look it up as those are different to mine.

It's for opening up the ends of the outer cables after cutting apparently. A nice thought and saves you having to search round for something to do that with (a pen or pencil usually in my case)

Reactions: Maz
Top Bottom