Can't find the source of a horrible creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chugsy

Hi,

I was on my way home from work last night and my bike started making a terrible creaking noise which for the life of me I cannot locate other than it is somewhere between my legs... It's rhythmic and only happens when I pedal - it gets louder the harder I crank. I've ruled out the following so far:

1. Pedals - I transplanted a 10 yr old set of wellgos from my MTB when I got my C2W Hybrid. Still spin smoothly and I loosened and retighten the axles today before work

2. Seat/seatpost - no creak occurs when standing.

3. Deraillieurs - had the bike on the stand and everything looks and funnctions as it should - no catching on the front

4. Stem and handlbars - seems nice and tight, I nipped them up also

5. New SKS mudguards - not catching anywhere... no loose bits

6. Disc brakes - no dragging (no more than usual ;D)

The sound stops if I'm free wheeling or back pedalling.

So I can only assume it's either the BB or the crank arms which feel really tight and solid - I don't have any tools for checking the tightness of these. The bike has only done 800 miles from new (April) so I would hope it's not the bottom bracket - purchased from a shop 40 miles away so not keen on taking it back.

Anyone have a sugestion before I give in and take it to the LBS?

- Baz -

Tough one. In my case, turned out to be pedal bearings (crap pedals supplied with bike). Fits with only happening when force is applied to the drivetrain. Since yours are getting on a bit, try some new ones.

Other than that, try here

Broadside

Guru
On point 2. you said that no creak occurs when standing. Doesn't this almost certainly point to it being something to do with the seat or seat post? If it was to do with the pedal/crank area then you would get the creak when standing also.

800 miles is nothing mileage wise, so I doubt this is due to wear, I would bet that a bit of dirt/grit has got in somewhere and is causing the noise, I would start with removing, cleaning and greasing the seat post.

Iain p

On point 2. you said that no creak occurs when standing. Doesn't this almost certainly point to it being something to do with the seat or seat post? If it was to do with the pedal/crank area then you would get the creak when standing also.

800 miles is nothing mileage wise, so I doubt this is due to wear, I would bet that a bit of dirt/grit has got in somewhere and is causing the noise, I would start with removing, cleaning and greasing the seat post.

Not necessarily as the extra load on the bearings when stood could just as easily stop the noise.

I'd look at the pedals as they are 10 years old - the bearings inside might be going and therefore give a bit under load.

Other than that - a long shot but have you checked that the QR on the rear is tight?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Check the saddle bolt(s), and the point where the saddle rails go into the base of the saddle. Mine creaks 'cos I'm a fat f*cker and have worn the plastic saddle underside where the rail joins.

gbb

Legendary Member
Agree in principle with Dmoran. I'd check the seatpost tightness, even look for a crack down the back of the seat tube. Seatpost out, clean and refit with a film of grease or similar.

Until i read the bit about standing i was going to suggest upturning the bike and check the welds where the downtube joins the BB...i had a bike develop a horrible creak. Turned out the weld had cracked underneath, Took me ages to find it. And dont think because the bikes relatively new it won't happen...mine was only two years old.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll say it might be the saddle.

My new bike (nearly 3 weeks old) has developed a creak in the last few days and I have pretty much convinced myself it is the saddle. Creaking happens fairly erraticly, not particularly in time with pedalling but does seem to correspond with bumps in the road so I think it is my 14+ stone squashing the cheap oe saddle.

Try swapping your saddle?

mercurykev

This page is a good source of advice on identifying where the noises could be coming from and also how to fix them:

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

I had a similar issue and it was sorted by regreasing the BB shell threads.

e-rider

crappy member
if it's related to the drivechain then 99% of the time it's either pedals or BB

could be the stem, saddle, seatpost clamp........

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I will have to come fearlessly out of the closet, but if you have a sprung seatpost, like me, it makes an awful noise when the oil/grease lube gets low. It happened to me recently and I just dribbled some chain oil in from the top this morning.

I know it's a long shot, but it cured my particular creak. Good luck.

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Thanks for all the replies!  Sorry about point 2... I was sneaking in a post a work and forgot to say that there's no creaking whilst standing and freewheeling (and doing what passes for bunny hops  :sad:  ) but still creaking when pedalling off the saddle.  In my mind that rules out loosening cranks.

All saddle and seatposts bolts (in fact all bolts bar the crank ones for which I don't have a tool for) where nipped up - not that any where loose.  

Will definately check for cracks and I'm going to try out some other pedals in the morning - will have to raid the other bikes I guess but none of them have sealed bearing like the Wellgos  :angry: At least I will get my moneys worth out of the old pedal spanner!

Cheers all!

My last hard to find creak happened when I was standing or working hard, pressure on right foot... turned out to be where the right hand STI cable joined the frame. There was just enough handlebar wiggle to make friction at the ferrule. A shot of Mr Sheen cured it, but it was a sod to locate.

Good luck with yours. :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Another source i found on the wifes hybrid a couple years ago....and it was a swine to locate, was the spoke protecting disc behind the cassette. It seems the disc was rubbing on the spokes under load when pedalling. I cant even remember how i realised it was that. I do remember riding alongside her, ear cocked trying to figure where it was coming from, Cassette off, cleaned it all, refitted and the creak was gone :tongue:

Top Bottom