Can't find the source of a horrible creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
When I had this it turned out to be the seat clamping system. Diagnosing where the noise came from took a while as when riding the sound travels all over the bike. As fossy has asked, how is it going?

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

heh heh... still not ridden the thing in over two weeks! The closest I got was last week when I smashed the ice up in front of the shed with a hammer to gain access - cables on the old MTB were seized from the cold so I did a litte cable maintenance. Snow and ice has only really melted two days ago in my neck of the woods-just in time for the next wave :|

The bike is a cheapy Giant Escape 1 (2008) so no fancy BB or cranks - Alivio and under. I don't have tools for BB or Crank extraction - is this any good?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-crank-removal-tool/

Don't want to spend too much on it...

Thanks everyone for the interest - will update when I finally start commuting again (hopefully next week if the snow doesn't settle).

Cheers,

OP
OP
chugsy

chugsy

Finally started riding again after 4+ weeks (and really feeling it ::tired: - during the break there wasn't much I could do except perform a bodge service on the pedals (oil bath then packed with grease). I guess sitting in the shed for a further two weeks did the trick as the noise from the left pedal has disappeared! Now if only I can work out why the disk brakes have started dragging again...

Does anyone have tips on how to fully dismantle a pedal axle - I can see the knut at the end of the axle but don't have any sockets that would fit in to loosen it.... I think a new set of sealed bearing pedals are in order.

Thanks for all your advice - hopefully someone else will have benefitted from the various answers proffered.

Holdsworth

Über Member
The last time I had a creak on my bike it was down to the pedal crank. It started off with a creaking when pedalling, it soon turned into a periodic creak and clicking with movement and then one night the entire left crank fell off half way home on my 5 mile commute
angry.gif

I had to nurse to the local bike shop, about a mile away, and kept having to kick the crank back on every couple of yards!!!

Moral of the story is, don't buy a cheap MTB from a catalogue and expect it to work after more than a year!!!.

Top Bottom