Can't quite believe it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Last Sunday, I decided this week was the week I was going to cycle in all 5 days come rain or shine. I bought and fitted the Aldi rack, ordered a pannier bag online, and resigned myself to using a backpack for taking in changes of clothes and food as I waited on delivery.

Given the awful weather I guess I picked a fine week for my little personal challenge, and was cursing my stubbornness as I endured face-melting cross and headwinds most mornings (and evenings) – crossing the Clackmannanshire Bridge was interesting to say the least – and a fair lashing of rain.

Today though, the wind fairies were being less mischievous, there was no rain, and I enjoyed my fifth cycle in much more than the other four days this week (which, funnily enough, I enjoyed too... just less) – I've covered 128.5 miles so far this week, and by the time I get home tonight, I'll have done 142.7 miles :smile:

But that's not the best bit... checking my odometer, it seems I've crossed the 1000 miles barrier!!! This time last year I hadn't been on my bike for years, was 18 stone, and would never have dreamed of being seen in public wearing lycra. Since I turned my life around, lost weight (I now weigh 12st 6lbs) and decided to get back on my bike in May, commuting one or two days a week was my only goal.

I can't quite believe I've got where I have today – I'm proud of myself, perhaps for the first time in my life, and hope you don't mind me sharing my achievement... hopefully it will inspire others :blush:

1007_miles.jpg

400bhp

Guru
was 18 s.....I now weigh 12st 6lbs)....

[attachment=5625:1007_miles.jpg]

Great effort :thumbsup:

Always nice to hear such stories.

Edge705

Good on you and lets face it if you can cycle in this week of all weeks given the atrocious weather all other weeks will seem like a breeze :biggrin: (excuse the pun)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
28+ miles a day commute is a good challenge and well done on sticking to your guns and getting out in all weathers.

Willpower is something I didn't think I possessed until last November (which is when I started watching what I was eating and being more active, walking every other day). Sticking to my guns this week was hard, especially yesterday morning - I very nearly took the car. Today, my legs felt more fatigued than normal, but I guess I'm only human and I'll have good days and bad days – last week was my first doing 4 days after all.....

Still, I've proved I can do it – if to no-one else, to myself – and I'm looking forward to my cycle home tonight :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Good on you and lets face it if you can cycle in this week of all weeks given the atrocious weather all other weeks will seem like a breeze :biggrin: (excuse the pun)
Thanks LOL! That was the idea, but please – no more face-melting crosswinds and icy rain, at least until I've bought a buff :biggrin:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Well done :biggrin:

Well done bud. A colleague at work who we estimate weighed in at over 18 stone has started cycling in after years of excuses, at first on his cheapo MTB but latterly on his nice new Felt hybrid as he is now a total cycling convert and has lost over 4 stone.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks coffeejo, upside-down and browser :blush:

Well done bud. A colleague at work who we estimate weighed in at over 18 stone has started cycling in after years of excuses, at first on his cheapo MTB but latterly on his nice new Felt hybrid as he is now a total cycling convert and has lost over 4 stone.

I only started getting back out on my old MTB around April time having already lost a fair bit of weight – I didn't really feel able to until then. I used to be out of breath having climbed a flight of stairs, and I'm so, so glad, that I decided to do something about my sedentary lifestyle.

I knew that my Trek 6500 mountain bike wasn't a great on-road commuting machine – so I stuck with a few local 10 and 15 miles routes interspersed with the walking at first, until I eventually took the plunge, sold it, and replaced it with a hybrid (Ridgeback Flight01) which was much more suited to riding on the roads :thumbsup: The different gearing took a bit of getting used to at first, and I'm not strong enough to push the big cog all the time – but I'm more than happy with my average having crept up to just under 17mph (not in this week's winds of course!!!) in a couple of months or so commuting, and being able to cruise comfortably at 20-22mph (on the flat :blush: ) feels pretty good for a beginner....

With my first 1000 (!) under my belt, I'm already thinking I might wear the Ridgeback out at this rate... but that just means I might actually be able to justify a proper road bike next year. n=n+1 and all that :biggrin:

Chris-H

Über Member
A huge pat on the back mate for an overwhelming acheivement and a very big thank you for the inspiration.My weight always hovered around the 15 stone mark for 20 odd years,however over the past 2 years it has gone up to over 17 stone,i have a belly that really needs to go so put my faith into cycling.Am aiming at 14 stone which i hav'nt been since i was about 14 (i'm 6ft3 and 42 yrs old) and this has inspired me to really get out in all weathers and ride,once again a very big well done !!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
A huge pat on the back mate for an overwhelming acheivement and a very big thank you for the inspiration.My weight always hovered around the 15 stone mark for 20 odd years,however over the past 2 years it has gone up to over 17 stone,i have a belly that really needs to go so put my faith into cycling.Am aiming at 14 stone which i hav'nt been since i was about 14 (i'm 6ft3 and 42 yrs old) and this has inspired me to really get out in all weathers and ride,once again a very big well done !!!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Chris – and I'm glad I've inspired you to go for it! Good luck :thumbsup:

Top Bottom