Can't remove tyre from rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

So, yesterday I had a rear tyre puncture almost 7 miles from home. The weather wasn't great, so rather than a tricky repair by the road I decided to walk back.

This morning I found I was unable to remove the tyre from the rim. It's almost like it has fused to the rim - no amount of pushing and pulling will allow me to get a tyre lever in. I've never had this happen before so am pretty baffled. Any suggestions on how I might release it?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 1258

How long has the tyre been on? I had this a few years ago on a front that had been on for a couple of years without being disturbed, if I remember right I used mole grips to very gently squeeze and wriggle the tyre to free it from the rim, I had the jaws set a little wide to do it.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Hi,

They are only a couple of weeks old. It's the first time I've used folding tyres; don't know if that's relevant. Will try mole grips as a next step. Thanks

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi,

They are only a couple of weeks old. It's the first time I've used folding tyres; don't know if that's relevant. Will try mole grips as a next step. Thanks

If they're that young I'm surprised you can't get them of, I've never used folding tyres.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Only time I was stuck was when deciding I wanted to replace the Mavic tyres on Mavic rims that came with my Ribble. Ended up cutting one off and took the other to a bike shop in defeat. I've never known such a tight fit. If I had had a puncture on a ride I would have been stuck. Thankfully the Rubino Pros that are now on are a much better fit.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Don't use mole grips. I've never had an issue removing folding tyres. Get some Pedro's tyre levers !
It's actually Pedro's that I have - but the side of the tyre is stuck to the rim, so the levers (at the moment) can't be brought to bear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a Decathlon RC520 bike by any chance

I couldn't get a tyre off recently, I was pushed for time and have sore / weak joints in my hands. The only time I've snapped a tyre lever. I was only doing it to save the LBS who were setting up new wheels the job... they did it instead after all for a fiver!

I generally have far more trouble getting tyres off than on :blush:

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Only time I was stuck was when deciding I wanted to replace the Mavic tyres on Mavic rims that came with my Ribble. Ended up cutting one off and took the other to a bike shop in defeat. I've never known such a tight fit. If I had had a puncture on a ride I would have been stuck. Thankfully the Rubino Pros that are now on are a much better fit.
A trip to the bike shop is starting to look quite likely!

D

Deleted member 1258

Don't use mole grips. I've never had an issue removing folding tyres. Get some Pedro's tyre levers !

The ones I used the mole grips on were wire beaded one that had been on about two years without being disturbed and had welded themselves onto the rim, early puncture resistant ones, the tread tended to part company with the sidewall after about 12 months.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Not a Decathlon RC520 bike by any chance

I couldn't get a tyre off recently, I was pushed for time and have sore / weak joints in my hands. The only time I've snapped a tyre lever. I was only doing it to save the LBS who were setting up new wheels the job... they did it instead after all!

I generally have far more trouble getting tyres off than on :blush:
It is an RC520. I actually changed the stock tyres partly for comfort but partly because I had enormous trouble refitting them after am earlier puncture. The new tyres (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) went on easily but now won't come off. Just tried the front tyre out of curiosity, and it too is stuck fast.

Top Bottom