Can't remove tyre from rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Notoriously hard to remove. TNT might help. :whistle:

Bloody hard to get on the rim as well, especially on a brompton the smaller tyre doesn’t seem to have any flexibility at all.

DIY clamps seem to work, they hold the tyre to the rim

C054F026-DA57-4258-A194-53FF1DA5AE30.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Washing up liquid doesn't seem to make any difference. It's extraordinary how difficult this is. If it had happened 20 miles from a rail station for instance this would have been a real problem.

It's a great bike for the money but the wheels seem to have given people real problems. I've been reluctant to spend another £200 plus on new wheels but it's beginning to look necessary.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Bloody hard to get on the rim as well, especially on a brompton the smaller tyre doesn’t seem to have any flexibility at all.

View attachment 508667

View attachment 508667

I watched the Brilliant Bikes video of the lady fitting a Marathon Plus tyre to a Brompton wheel without using any tools.
I had a go myself and was surprised at how straightforward it was. My thumbs were a bit sore but with a bit of patience it's not the nightmare I'd been led to believe it was.

screenman

Legendary Member
This gives good advice for fitting.

For removal the basic idea is get tyre into middle of rim and then it should come off easily enough. It is more technique than physical force.

That video is wrong and has been proved so often, the valve prevents the tyre from going deep into the well.

Kajjal

Guru
That video is wrong and has been proved so often, the valve prevents the tyre from going deep into the well.
Not in my experience, I do it without the ties / straps as they are not necessary but the technique is sound. It meant I could easily get on what was previously a very tight tyre just using my hands and the same tyre came off very easily then. Better give people alternatives they can use :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru

I've got a spare front wheel from when I swapped out for a Brompton dynamo wheel.
I've just removed the marathon plus tyre, removed the tube ( it says "Kenda 16x1 3/8) the inner tube weighs 90 grammes.

I had to use a plastic tyre lever to hook the tyre over the rim for removal.
The tyre went back on without any tools except my thumbs and took less than five minutes.

Edit:
Yes I did line the valve up with the "M" in Marathon 😉

screenman

Legendary Member
Not in my experience, I do it without the ties / straps as they are not necessary but the technique is sound. It meant I could easily get on what was previously a very tight tyre just using my hands and the same tyre came off very easily then. Better give people alternatives they can use :okay:

Are you saying the valve does not stop the tyre going down into the well in the valve area?

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

After trying lots of approaches I decided to cut my losses and cut the tyre off. It now looks as if the sides of the tyre have welded into the rim - you can't tell where one starts and the other ends.

Top Bottom