Can't remove tyre from rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Start with the valve first, but don't try and 'end it' opposite the valve because you want the beads opposite where you're trying to finish off as deep into the rim well as possible.

Crankarm

Guru
It's technique over force.

Crankarm

Guru
Bloody hard to get on the rim as well, especially on a brompton the smaller tyre doesn’t seem to have any flexibility at all.

DIY clamps seem to work, they hold the tyre to the rim

View attachment 508667
You haven't got the bead of the opposite side of the tyre (on the bench) in the central well of the rim. Brompton wheels have a comparatively deep central well to help get tyres on and off. Marathon Racers are a piece of cake to fit and remove. I don't need tyre levers let alone clamps.

Gunk

Guru
You haven't got the bead of the opposite side of the tyre (on the bench) in the central well of the rim. Brompton wheels have a comparatively deep central well to help get tyres on and off. Marathon Racers are a piece of cake to fit and remove. I don't need tyre levers let alone clamps.

Thanks for the tip 👍

C R

Guru
After trying lots of approaches I decided to cut my losses and cut the tyre off. It now looks as if the sides of the tyre have welded into the rim - you can't tell where one starts and the other ends.
Are you running tubeless? I saw something similar on Sunday. I stopped to help someone who had a puncture in a tubeless tyre, and we couldn't get the tyre out to fit a tube, as the tyre seemed welded to the rim.

Top Bottom