Can't tighten rear derailleur cable enough ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It would be, but a set of taps are cheap enough and always handy as that is unlikely to be the only thread that will ever need a clean up.
True, I have a basic set which I have probably used 4 or 5 times over the past couple of years, but I've been blooming glad I had it when I've needed it :okay:

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Took it to the LBS this afternoon. The derailleur bracket was bent, so he straightened it. Then he noticed that the last sprocket was buckled and that the wheel axle is probably bent too. Looks like the bike had a nasty shock into the back wheel, and was subsequently left to rot away in the previous owner's flat for several years - which probably explains why the shifters didn't work until I flooded them with WB40. The LBS has ordered some new sprockets, which will arrive in one week, and we'll see how it looks with a brand new cassette and chain. However, it's possible that I'll need a new back wheel.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Just to keep you all up to date, I got the chain and cassette yesterday and fitted it today. I can now change into first no problem! Yay! Everything works and I don't think I need a new wheel. But the cassette still wobles when the wheel turns - possibly the wheel axle is bent. Is this cause for concern? I took a video:

Just to keep you all up to date, I got the chain and cassette yesterday and fitted it today. I can now change into first no problem! Yay! Everything works and I don't think I need a new wheel. But the cassette still wobles when the wheel turns - possibly the wheel axle is bent. Is this cause for concern? I took a video:

Raleigh is right, but think this through. Since the axle doesn't turn, why would something that turns on the axle wobble? If the axle was bent, the cassette would still run true, albeit slightly off plane to the axle. If the axle is bent and it turns, then it's wheels would wobble.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Raleigh is right, but think this through. Since the axle doesn't turn, why would something that turns on the axle wobble? If the axle was bent, the cassette would still run true, albeit slightly off plane to the axle. If the axle is bent and it turns, then it's wheels would wobble.
I think it is to do with manufacturing tolerances on the threads of the freewheel/hub, I'd be a bit concerned if a cassette did it though. Maybe that is why the freehub and cassette were developed as they are more of a one piece unit than the screw on freewheel. It could also be why freewheels are limited to 7 speed when a freehub/cassette set up will take up to 11 (12?) speed.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

I'd be a bit concerned if a cassette did it though.

It is a cassette on this bike - an 8 speed one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is a cassette on this bike - an 8 speed one.
Never seen a freehub/cassette do that but I only have 3 rear wheels with freehubs on them (the Campagnolo/Roval equiped 653 TT bike and the 531 Raleigh that has 2 Shimano wheelsets) and they don't wobble like the 7 bikes that have freewheels on them do (they all oscillate to a greater or lesser degree). It may well be damaged or need a new freehub so I'd whip it into a bikeshop just to be safe.

Tojo

Über Member
I think it is to do with manufacturing tolerances on the threads of the freewheel/hub, I'd be a bit concerned if a cassette did it though. Maybe that is why the freehub and cassette were developed as they are more of a one piece unit than the screw on freewheel. It could also be why freewheels are limited to 7 speed when a freehub/cassette set up will take up to 11 (12?) speed.

Cassettes work the same as a freewheel, the only difference, basically is with a cassette is that you can choose what cogs you have on it, ( without butchery ) the gear cogs themselves are just an add on to the freehub which has become part of the rear wheel, not a whole unit we used to screw onto the actual hub.
We are all limited now to compatibility of what gearing you can put on your wheel by what groupset you choose to run with across manufacturers, but its getting there now as we are getting towards being able to run and mix groups as as in 11sp the chains are now usable across the range the only thing they keep to their own group is index spacing, which makes mix and match the last of the of problems we have to overcome to have the ultimate custom gearing system.......comments and criticisms..welcomed, I love a good discussion...:notworthy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom