Cantilever Brakes - replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've had it with the cantilever brakes (Tektro Oryx apparently) on my Kona Jake CX. I've tried various pads and set them up toed in, toed out, flat contact and on various wheels but no matter what they screech horribly at even the lightest application at the front.

The only thing left (until I can afford a Pickenflick from Planet X later in the year) is to change the brakes themselves. All I want is a cheap option so can I use any cantilever such as the Avid Shorties or do they have to be of a specific design?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Cantilever bosses are universally placed so any set should work.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You could replace them with V brakes, I plan on doing this on my CX bike as the cantilevers I have, although set up correctly are just not very powerful.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You could replace them with V brakes, I plan on doing this on my CX bike as the cantilevers I have, although set up correctly are just not very powerful.

A well worth upgrade - but if you have dropped bars you need to factor in that the brake levers do not pull enough cable so you would need a multiplier adapter. No problem if you have flat bars.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A well worth upgrade - but if you have dropped bars you need to factor in that the brake levers do not pull enough cable so you would need a multiplier adapter. No problem if you have flat bars.
or new brake levers, e.g. Tektro RL520 (~£17), Diacompe 287 (~£30) or Cane Creek V brakelevers (~£50).
I have Tektro levers on my Spa tourer, and they work very well with Avid single digit 7s. They don't shift gears, though :sad:.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm currently using Kool Stop Salmons, but everything else I've tried screeched just as badly.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Thanks all, I'm hoping to do this as cheap as possible so the change to V brakes is out and a cheap replacement cantilever will be sourced.

As you want as cheap as possible, pm me your address and I will sling a set in the post for you. Probably Shimano - but I am not sure what I have in my spares boxes. No cost - sling a few £ in a charity box.

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As you want as cheap as possible, pm me your address and I will sling a set in the post for you. Probably Shimano - but I am not sure what I have in my spares boxes. No cost - sling a few £ in a charity box.

Thanks for the offer, but I've just ordered some Tektros at Planet X while I was getting a bottom bracket for a different bike

Top Bottom